New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - I dropped my MacBook Pro (laptop insurance?)...

Thread Closed

nathanindo

nathanindo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid-2009 15'' MacBook Pro; 2.53GHz, 4GB memory, 250GB hard drive.

Well actually, I fell off my bike with my notebook inside my backpack. It was quite a spectacular fall actually. Scrapped my left knee and the back of my left ankle. I was standing and peddling on my bike when all of a sudden the gears shifted unexpectedly. The bike shook, my foot slip, and I flip to the left and land right on my back.

Now about my MBP (unibody, late '09)...

It has cosmetic damage on the right corner by the infrared receiver. It's not affecting the use of my computer (I'm typing on it now).

So my question is, can I get an insurance policy after I have dropped it?

Is that fraud?

Either way, I totally blame the bike for this incident.

L O S T
bendystraw

bendystraw is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook White Leopard, 10.5.7, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Memory, 148 GB, iWork '08, iLife '09

Well, I believe that you cannot claim it on insurance, as it is partially your fault for having the laptop in your bag while it may not have been properly protected.

The only thing you can/should do is take to an apple store, tell them what happened and get it repaired. It is a bit expensive, but worth it.

It is classified as accidental damage I'm afraid, and there is no way to hide that. One of my keys snapped once on my mac, and I hadn't even done anything to it. The apple store said they cannot repair it without me paying because it was "Accidental Damage".

I was infuriated as it was a design fault. I just started an argument in the store and in the end they gave in and did it for free

I hope it all goes well for you. You may be able to claim it on insurance as it may have been a design fault with your bike, so get your parents to check it out.

Hope I helped

Bendy Straw

The All-Time mac user
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanindo View Post
Well actually, I fell off my bike with my notebook inside my backpack. It was quite a spectacular fall actually. Scrapped my left knee and the back of my left ankle. I was standing and peddling on my bike when all of a sudden the gears shifted unexpectedly. The bike shook, my foot slip, and I flip to the left and land right on my back.

Now about my MBP (unibody, late '09)...

It has cosmetic damage on the right corner by the infrared receiver. It's not affecting the use of my computer (I'm typing on it now).

So my question is, can I get an insurance policy after I have dropped it?

Is that fraud?

Either way, I totally blame the bike for this incident.
Bingo. That would be insurance fraud - and illegal, and since we don't discuss illegal activity here, this thread is now closed.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Thread Closed

« Buying from eBay and Apple store | Which charger for my macbook? »