New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Potential switcher with a glossy problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brendanrtw

brendanrtw is on a distinguished road

First post - be gentle

I do alot of music editing and mixing, so I've been drooling over the new 15" MBP for the last few weeks, but I'm a bit worried about all the negative press surrounding the glossy screen. OK, it seems the concensus is in an ideal world there would be a Matt option, but their ain't, and I still want a Mac!

I'll mostly be using it at home where 'll have some controll over lighting, but obviously it's a portable so I don't want to have it house-bound.

Maybe I should just take the plunge and see how it goes, and if it a real issue, use some anti-glare film.

Has anyone used the film on the new MBP with any success?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Go to any computer or electronics store, and check out the glossy displays to see what you think.

Another option is to purchase a older used MacBook Pro with the matte screen.

A third option...I went to the Apple Store online...and apparently with the 17" model you can choose (as an option) an anti-glare display. I'm assuming it's a matte display. No options for this on the 13" or 15" models.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
brendanrtw

brendanrtw is on a distinguished road

I've seen it in store, and thought it was fine to be honest, very clear and crisp ... but real life might be more difficult depending on lighting.

Shame they don't have an anti-glare for the 15" .... 17" is a bit to bulky for my needs.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Yes the 17" is a bit bulky, and expensive as well.

Personally I don't mind the glossy screens. Even with the matte screens, you will get into situations where glare can be a problem.

I know some folks don't like buying used computers...but honestly, if you really want a matte screen, consider an older 15" MacBook Pro, with a matte screen of course. You'll save some money as well buying used.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You get over it quickly and glossy screen shouldn't matter all that much to anyone besides a designer.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Since you say you'll be using it at home most of the time, you could also just buy a good external monitor, and use that.
QUOTE Thanks
wcarr3

wcarr3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Since you say you'll be using it at home most of the time, you could also just buy a good external monitor, and use that.
Plus the fact that you stated you plan on being portable most of the time, you'll have control of what angle you'll be using your Macbook Pro in order to avoid glare or direct sunlight.
QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

The new MBP's screen is so bright that you wont notice the gloss.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Old ibook g4 hard drive replacement | Before I Upgrade »