New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Audio output issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hoopster222

hoopster222 is on a distinguished road

For some reason, the sound is going in and out on my computer. The left speaker is making an odd noise (a clicking/snapping noise) and whenever I try playing a sound it is playing the sound broken up. The output volume under sound when I go to the system preferences keeps saying the output is at a certain level, but then it says "the selected device has no output controls". It switches between the two every few seconds. It can't be strictly a problem with the speakers because when I plug my headphones in it does the same thing. Is something internally wrong with my computer? Do I need to bring it into a store to get fixed? I have the original Macbook Pro. The computer is over three years old. Is the lifespan just nearly up for this computer?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It does appear to be a hardware problem. Possibly the logic board itself regarding the audio. Run the Apple Hardware Test on the machine to see if it shows you anything definitive. Sometimes it will, other times it won't.

Apple Hardware Test

Since your machine is no longer in warranty, you might think about using one of the lesser expensive repair services that are available. There are several which are authorized Apple service repair facilities and maintain a presence on line.

Here's one.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firewire-USB Adapter | Firmware Password Disabling »