New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Which hard drive is best for me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zacariem

Zacariem is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook with 4GB RAM and 80GB memory + 500GB external hard drive. iPod Classic Silver

Hi all

I'm wanting to get a bigger internal hard drive to cope with my growing iTunes library and so I can run Logic Studio on it.
I'm not really bothered how fast the drive is as long as it's as fast as my White MacBook's default hard drive. I'm looking at these two drives:

Samsung 400GB 2.5" Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm 8MB Cache - OEM

Seagate ST9320421ASG 320GB 2.5" Hard Drive SATA300 7200rpm 16MB

The 320GB drive is easily enough space, however the 400GB drive is actually cheaper.
But will the 400GB drive be any slower than my MacBook's hard drive at the moment? Why is it cheaper than the 320GB drive?

EDIT: Also, will the 320GB drive use up a lot of battery because of the spin speed?
EDIT 2: And are these drives even compatible with my White MacBook? (Sorry about the many edits!)

Thanks a lot

Jonny

No excuse is sometimes a good enough one.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I have the Seagate HDD in my Macbook right now and I haven't noticed any difference in battery drainage.

Get the Seagate, it's faster by a lot. Especially when you factor in the 16MB cache as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Zacariem

Zacariem is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook with 4GB RAM and 80GB memory + 500GB external hard drive. iPod Classic Silver

Yes my friend has a seagate, and it's quite good.
Thanks a lot for your reply (and confirming they work in MacBooks)! I probably will go for the 320Gb.

Zacariem

No excuse is sometimes a good enough one.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Pop in the Seagate, the fast RPM and Cache Speed will be a blessing and they come with a five year warranty.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro Unibody Screen Problems | Can´t mount system disk (Ibook g3) »