New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Sell me on a new MacBook Pro

Thread Closed

hwks1mcq

hwks1mcq is on a distinguished road

Really would like a Mac - mostly for the track pad. I am a Longtime Windows user always been curious about a MAC so I am almost ready to buy. BIG problem I have is the price difference - looks HUGE to me.

Would like the users here to 'sell' me on a new MacBook. I have configured a Dell laptop (I have had Dell laptops for years and I have no concerns with them they have always been fine for me, many years) and it 'looks' like a much much better value. What am I missing?

The only tangible difference I can see as a negative compared to the MacBook is the DDR2 vs DDR3 memory but there are many other significant upgrades on the Dell that make it look superior...and at $100's less

Below is the Dell......tell, me why I should get the Mac?

STUDIO 15 Studio 15 Notebook
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
Processors Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9600 (2.8GHz/1066Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
Keyboard Back-lit Keyboard
LCD Panel 15.6” Full High Definition (1080p) High Brightness LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera/Facial Reco
Video Card 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
Hard Drive Size: 500GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
System Color Ruby Red with Edge-to-Edge Display
Adobe Reader Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9, English/French/Spanish
Combo or DVD+RW Drive 6X Slot Load Bluray (BD) Combo Drive (BD Read Only)
Sound High Definition Audio 2.0
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card
Office Productivity Software Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007
Software - Antivirus McAfee 36 month
Battery 85 WHr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Hardware Support Services 3Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Datasafe Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
Processor Branding Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor
Sub total1,585.00
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

This again? Sorry but we dont care if you get a mac or not. lol

Search the forums maybe previous posts of this same nature can convince you.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
hwks1mcq

I understand.... I have read some posts. I get the whole OS thing is better, I just haven't lived with it to really evaluate this for myself.

I have never had a virus (that I know of) but I have had my share of Windows issues.....I always attributed this to the myriad of software's (trials etc.) that I have installed which I presume is not so much Windows fault?

So my primary motivation here is I like the latest best thing. I DO LIKE the trackpad on the Apple - why they don't sell that as separate on a desktop is beyond me, that thing is slick - I am an iPhone user so the whole touch thing is just very slick.

Now, track pad aside where is the innovation on the Mac? The Dell has a 1080p display, Bluray drive, comes with Office 2007 and is something like $800 less than the Mac. Why? The Mac seems a little behind the times without 1080p and Bluray
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwks1mcq View Post
tell, me why I should get the Mac?
Nobody should have to tell you to get any type of computer, nor should anyone feel compelled to ask another to do so.

Get the one that you are most comfortable using, fits within your budget and most important of all... get the one that best suits your needs.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Nobody should have to tell you to get any type of computer, nor should anyone feel compelled to ask another to do so.

Get the one that you are most comfortable using, fits within your budget and most important of all... get the one that best suits your needs.
I am gonna have to save that so I can copy and paste it next time.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
nbrowser

nbrowser has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB

It all depends on what you want to do with the computer, honestly, the Mac is a great platform if your looking to do this, that and the other thing, however if you intend on doing the real other stuff, go that route, as I said, it all depends on what you want to do, I run both as both fill a niche in their respective means.

This is a multiplatform home !
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
This again?
My thoughts exactly!

Original poster:

- search the forum & you will find lots of these threads to read
- go to the Apple Store & play with some of the computers

Hands on is the way to make your decision.

- Nick
jtcannonball

jtcannonball is on a distinguished road

I have been running apple for 8 years except for a brief 6-8 months this past year when my ibook finally gave up the ghost, and I was using my dad's old pc laptop till I saved enough to buy another macbook. All I can say is better security, tighter integration of hardware and os all parts communicate equally so it is faster while using much less computing power. I have worked at Best Buy for 3 years and Circuit City for 4 and I have dealt with both systems as a retail employee and while the mac cost more in 6 months to a year I don't have my Mac customers coming back in complaining of there product being slow or infested with viruses and errors. To many things make mac users loyal to the apple brand. Play with one for a hour and you may get a better understanding if you want to go with one.
hwks1mcq

hmmmm thought there might have been more compelling argument. I do like the Mac it is aesthetically better. Just having a tough time swallowing $800 more...for arguably less?

I'm just being honest and not looking to start a flame or anything. Just want to understand the value in over paying (by alot) for the hardware? I must admit the multi touch track pad is probably worth $200 to me but everything else feels like a step down.

Seems like the best solution would be to buy non apple hardware and load Apple OS to that - best of both worlds, superior hardware and superior software.
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

I cant believe some people!

I my career is based on IT. Most of my clients have million £ budgets to spend on IT each year and they all know how to decide on what system or solution to purchase.

Research & Demo!

I have had Dells all my life and yes they are good for a corporate MS environment. the MBP is in a totally different league. My MBP is purely for pleasure. Is the most aesthetically pleasing thing I have purchased.

BTW - My MBP with 4GB of RAM is one of the quickest pieces of equipment I have used - Ever!
harrya

harrya is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" June 09

What makes the OP think anyone cares about his purchase? If he's so stressed out about buying a new computer he probably can't afford it.

I will say that it would be nice if my MBP had a Blu Ray player and 1080p screen....Hopefully soon.
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrya View Post
What makes the OP think anyone cares about his purchase? If he's so stressed out about buying a new computer he probably can't afford it.

I will say that it would be nice if my MBP had a Blu Ray player and 1080p screen....Hopefully soon.
The 1080p screen would be nice, but there is probably a big cost to make that happen. I seriously doubt sony is going to hand over it's Blu Ray technology to Apple.

Plus I don't think it needs blu ray. If anything, I want a faster CPU in there and a dedicated GPU on the 13" MBP.

Oh and to the OP, we don't work for apple so we are not going to try and sell anything to you.

Looking at those configs on that Dell I can say that it's slightly better than what you would probably get with the 15" MBP. It has a better GPU, a faster CPU for sure, and Blu Ray.

If those things are important to you then by all means get it.

I really enjoy the Mac OS so much that I would gladly pay a little extra for it plus it has great design. If I ever need windows I can install it on my Mac, but you can't install Mac OSX on a dell machine.
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

OK, since no one is really trying to convince you and you really want someone to, I will try.

I really don't care if you get a mac or the dell (just to let you know).

I have configured a Macbook Pro 15 inch to be just about equal to the dell.

The only really difference is that the Macbook Pro has 4GB of DDR3 ram (dell is DDR2) and the Dell has a slightly faster processor.

The Macbook Pro came out to 2,500 with the Apple protection plan (2,150 without).

If you are a student or know one, you can probably knock off 100-200 dollars off of this.

If you are looking into buying a Macbook Pro, you are likely not extremely concerned about money.

I bought a MBP 13 inch and I love all of the features.
The trackpad is great, I really love the keyboard, the laptop is light, the screen is really bright, it runs Leopard AND Windows PERFECTLY. I game, so I have found that my MBP runs games just as well as my friend's Dell XPS 420 gaming DESKTOP.

I am not quite sure what it is that you want to know, but the MBP is blazing fast (fastest notebook I have ever used). The OS is GREAT, the feel of the Macbook Pro is amazing (it makes my friend's Toshiba feel like a little toy). The battery life is wonderful and I have not had any problems with it.

I think it is up to you which you get, they are both good computers.
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsd123 View Post
I game, so I have found that my MBP runs games just as well as my friend's Dell XPS 420 gaming DESKTOP.
I doubt this a bit, only because you are comparing a notebook to a desktop that is built specifically for gaming. The desktop also has a dedicated graphic card while the 13" MBP does not.
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I doubt this a bit, only because you are comparing a notebook to a desktop that is built specifically for gaming. The desktop also has a dedicated graphic card while the 13" MBP does not.
Yes, I realize this.

What I really mean is that there is no NOTICEABLE difference between the two.

On the games we have both played (Runes of Magic, WoW etc.), my MBP runs just as smoothly as his XPS.

Maybe on some very new games there is a noticeable difference, but until I have yet to find a game where there is a difference.

And his MBP that comes with the dedicated graphic card will run very smoothly because mine, as you have stated, does not.

Thread Closed

« Whitebook vs. Macbook Pro | Restore CD's »