New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Whitebook vs. Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jtcannonball

jtcannonball is on a distinguished road

I'm looking into getting a new macbook of some sort. I have a old ibook that I am finally replacing. I will play with photo-shop semi-often and I guarantee that I will never do any video editing in the near future. What would be the laptop of choice? I want a 13 inch screen and want to keep the budget down if I can. I don't need the latest gadgets like the new 1-button pad but I would like it at the same time. Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
wcarr3

wcarr3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad

Go for the 13" Macbook Pro. You get your Firewire 800 port, SD card reader, and better build. Go with the Pro if you can afford it. Just my opinion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcannonball View Post
I'm looking into getting a new macbook of some sort. I have a old ibook that I am finally replacing. I will play with photo-shop semi-often and I guarantee that I will never do any video editing in the near future. What would be the laptop of choice? I want a 13 inch screen and want to keep the budget down if I can. I don't need the latest gadgets like the new 1-button pad but I would like it at the same time. Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I'm going to second the 13" Macbook Pro. I lived with a white Macbook for a couple of years, and while it was a brilliant notebook, the Macbook Pro 13" is even more brilliant. I just upgraded mine to 4GB of RAM and that went quite smoothly. The screen on the Macbook Pro 13" is outstanding, and having firewire for my external drive is a boon as well. Also believe it or not the backlit keyboard is awesome even if I only look at it and not use it in my dimly lit office (external keyboard I don't usually look at when typing in said room.)

Also the internal keyboard is a little better and the aluminum casing is just that much better. The trackpad is such that I use it often in lieu of a mouse. It is totally worth the extra centi-bucks to go with the Macbook Pro in that size. You get all the portability, the fantastic screen, and the extra perks that are over the plastic Macbook white. Not to say that the Macbook in plastic guise isn't a great notebook, it is. It's just that the Macbook Pro in the same form factor is a much greater one for the money.

Get the basic Macbook Pro 13" with 160GB HDD for $1200, then later upgrade the RAM to 4GB. This only cost me $77 from Crucial and was easy to do. Makes a world of difference and makes it the perfect small factor Macbook (that does Windows too) for minimum outlay of cash. Also the Macbook Pro is way sexy. Nothing wrong with that.
QUOTE Thanks
Rcynic

Rcynic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13" 2.0 GHZ 10.6.1

I would say mbp 13" too. For all of what the others said, plus it uses DDR3 Ram rather than DDR2. Leaving unnecessary explanation at this point aside, sufficient to say that in the future DDR2 might just be left behind for DDR3.the mbp has a faster ram speed too(eventually all of it leading to better performance)

You can get more batt. out of your mbp than the white(apple says 7 hrs vs white's 5). then the other difference- 2.16 ghz for white and 2.26/2.5 ghz for mbp 13".
I've had the aluminum body for 3 odd months now, its super easy to clean as well, white can get dirty, if it does... it will be noticed easily.
If you are going to spend... might as well spend on a product you'd not need to change for longer.
I hope it helps your decision.
QUOTE Thanks
Gravity Cat

Gravity Cat is on a distinguished road

I had to make the same choice a while ago and I decided to go with the mbp, it has a lot of little upgrades that add up and make it much more rewarding than the mb,

Although if you don't like glossy screens then you may want to go with the white macbook because the mbp has a glossy screen which reflects light easily

Asus g50vt a1 - 2.7 ghz - 2x 250gb hdd - 4 gb ram
- getting teh macbook pro soon -
Macbook Pro 13" - 2.26 ghz - 256 gb ssd - 4 gb ram

QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

The white MacBook has a glossy screen as well, and always has.
QUOTE Thanks
bungy

bungy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD

I have the Macbook White and am extremely happy with it.

Depends on your budget and what you want to do with it really.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
QUOTE Thanks
jacdem

jacdem is on a distinguished road

I have used 2 Macbooks since a year and I can recommend to you the white Macbook late October 2008. I am using it now and I do a lot of logic pro stuff on it. It runs very nicely and I love it.
QUOTE Thanks
jtcannonball

Will DDR2 really not be supported? I think that is what you were saying at least. And will DDR2 be noticeably slower? What if I put 4 gigs in it? I was wondering what benefit performance wise I will gain in realistic applications? Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
Billy_ca

Billy_ca is on a distinguished road

About half of the current White Nvidia Macbooks are shipping with a serious screen defect of horizontal lines running across the screen. It is as of yet unacknowledged and unfixed by Apple:

New white nVidia Macbook owners: check here to see if you have a defective LCD! - Mac Forums
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Will DDR2 really not be supported? I think that is what you were saying at least. And will DDR2 be noticeably slower? What if I put 4 gigs in it? I was wondering what benefit performance wise I will gain in realistic applications? Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
If you get the MBP 13" then you won't be able to use the DDR2 RAM because it won't fit in the slots.
QUOTE Thanks
jtcannonball

I'm going to return the whitebook when it gets here monday or tuesday and drive to Knoxville to the apple store and pick up my 13" macbook pro with my student discount instead. I guess it makes more sense to spend a little more now than to make it a better machine further down the road. Thanks for all the help. Now off to work to buy my messenger bag and mighty mouse for it.
QUOTE Thanks
MtReload

MtReload is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" White MacBook, 2.13 GHz, 2gb, 160gb HDD

For me it was just a matter of not being able to afford the MBP. I used some financial aid money and my mom helped pay for the rest. We could barely afford it, haha. But I've been pretty happy with my white MacBook so far. Beats that broken down HP I had. It does everything I need it to and more .

QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

Quote:
I'm going to return the whitebook when it gets here monday or tuesday and drive to Knoxville to the apple store and pick up my 13" macbook pro with my student discount instead. I guess it makes more sense to spend a little more now than to make it a better machine further down the road. Thanks for all the help. Now off to work to buy my messenger bag and mighty mouse for it.

That is exactly what I did.
QUOTE Thanks
jtcannonball

I want a pro but I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the main difference advantage of ddr3 ram over the ddr2 in the whitebook? I'm trying to figure out if spending the extra money can be justified with a product that will be significantly better? I'm just gun-shy spending large amounts of money when I may not need to.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro keyboard Not Working | Sell me on a new MacBook Pro »