New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Keyboard Cleaning

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

The keyboard (keys) on my laptop need cleaning badly...pretty "gunky".

Anyone have any suggestions of how best to do it?

- what sort of cleaning materials should I use (cloths, rags, paper towels)
- what sort of liquid cleaner (just water, soap, windex, etc.)

Obviously I don't want to use something that will react with the plastic, or remove the letters/numbers on the keys.

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. And of course I understand to unplug the laptop, remove the battery, and use as little liquid as possible on the rags or paper towels.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I use a white terry cloth towel. Put a small section of the towel over the tip of your finger. Spray a tiny bit of Windex on it. And rub the keys one at a time. The fingercheese comes wipes right off.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
I use a white terry cloth towel. Put a small section of the towel over the tip of your finger. Spray a tiny bit of Windex on it. And rub the keys one at a time. The fingercheese comes wipes right off.
Thanks Jaygray. I'll definitely give that a try.

I can't believe that I've only gotten 1 reply to this thread!

I guess everyone else:

- clean's their hands every time before they use their laptop
- has a new computer & the keyboard hasn't had a chance to get dirty
- has a very dirty keyboard

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
psychohistoric

psychohistoric is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook OSX

My white macbook gets pretty filthy pretty easily. I do the terry cloth thing for the keys, but for the areas I rest my hands/wrists on either side of the trackpad I've found that a standard rubber eraser works best.
QUOTE Thanks
jrichard012

jrichard012 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro

I find the most suitable for this is iKlear available through an Apple store or their web site. It costs less than $20 and is made to not bother electronic devices. You won't be sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Thanks for the additional ideas!

Windex & paper towels worked great on the keys!

I bet the rubber eraser idea works real good for larger less delicate areas. And I will look into iKlear idea...that of course would eliminate dirty keys...and keep other dirt out of the keys.

Thanks,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
sypeinasids

sypeinasids is on a distinguished road

Hiya Peps,

I spent 5 days looking onthe web, ifnally I discoverde yourd site I think, I will stay here for a long time!

I read somewhere that Bamboo fabric is the best material

I have found a fantasistic online shop selling Bamboo material
fabric for wedding dress which displays luxury dressing gowns . Just thought I'd let you Peps know, after all knowledge is for all.

Thanks alot

Emma

QUOTE Thanks
corradoking

corradoking is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone 3G,MBP 13 inch 2.26

I just received the omnicleanz from radtech. It cost me $15.00 for a 4oz bottle and a nice cloth. I just cleaned my MBP, both iPhones and my LCD tv and it worked awesome. The keys on my keyboard look like I just bought the computer and the screen is spotless. I highly recommend this product.
Check it out here..Clean your Computer LCD Screen or Cinema Display Screen with OmniCleanz Screen Cleaner- RadTech Products
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question About Battery Life | More ram for iBook G4 »