New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Apple Warranty

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

king_carib

king_carib is on a distinguished road

Hey guys!

I'm buying the macbook pro 13 2.26ghz model.

I have been given a 12month warranty period by apple.

If i decide to upgrade the RAM 2gb --> 4gb and HDD from 160 --> 500gb...will this make my warranty void?

(Sorry for the noobish questions...this is what years of PC does to you!)

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_carib View Post
Hey guys!

If i decide to upgrade the RAM 2gb --> 4gb and HDD from 160 --> 500gb...will this make my warranty void?

(Sorry for the noobish questions...this is what years of PC does to you!)

Thanks!
I am pretty sure that you are OK as these are considered user replaceable parts. I think there is a thread somewhere that talks about this.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_carib View Post
Hey guys!

I'm not 100% sure about the ram...but I think upgrading the HDD will almost definitely void the warranty if it is not done by an Apple technician.

Here's the fine print...read the part about "limitations". Any further questions, call your local Apple Store:

http://images.apple.com/legal/applec...Plan_NA_en.pdf

Just remember...if you replace or upgrade something which may void the warranty...then have a problem later that requires warranty work...and Apple finds out your upgrade voided the warranty...don't tell them, "Well some guy on mac-forums.com said that it was ok."

I don't think that is going to fly...check with Apple about warranties...not here!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Looking at my Macbook Pro printed manual, and about to upgrade my RAM as soon as it arrives, I note that the manual has a whole chapter with instructions on how to upgrade both the RAM and the hard drive. I would imagine they wouldn't have those instructions in the manual if they weren't user replaceable parts.

Now, they do state that if you damage your Macbook Pro while doing these things it'll void the warrantee, but if you successfully do it without screwing anything up you'll be fine.

I upgraded both HDD and RAM in my old Macbook (white) and took it in for AppleCare warrantee service a number of times with no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

One thing you could do is keep your old HDD and RAM and (if anything every goes wrong) just stick that back in your machine if you need to send off your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Heat sink spring screws | 8600 graphics card issue? »