New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

MacBook Pro - Recommendations, please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

king_carib

king_carib is on a distinguished road

Hey guys!

I'm currently an unsatisfied PC user for the last 15 years...*i know*..and have decided to turn over a new leaf!

However i cannot decide what to buy:

I'm stuck between 2 laptops;

1) The Macbook: - aluminium unibody

13.3-inch, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, GeForce 9400M SuperDrive

2) The Macbook Pro

13inch 2.26GHz/ 2GB/ 160GB/ GeForce 9400M/ Super Drive

Both laptops have; keyboard backlighting/ ddr3 memory and the price is pretty much the same!

quick few q's:

> I understand that the macbook pro has better HD resolution..will that make a huge difference?
> How easy is it to manually upgrade the ram/ hardrive of the macbook pro?

However so, I cannot decide! I really need your help guys!

Any help will be IMMENSELY appreciated!!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

I was in the same situation as you and I went with the MBP. You also get the SD card slot on the new machine as well as Firewire 800. The upgrades are very easy. I had the MBP apart 20 minutes after FedEx dropped it off for the hard drive and I put in 4gb of RAM today.

I am happy that I went with the pro in the end. Great machine and a great price IMO. Get it and don't look back!
QUOTE Thanks
king_carib

Hey John! Thanks for the swift response! Have you noticed any downsides such as over-heating?

Any other negatives?

Really appreciate it man!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_carib View Post
Hey John! Thanks for the swift response! Have you noticed any downsides such as over-heating?

Any other negatives?

Really appreciate it man!
No, I have not. I read a post earlier of a user with the same machine as mine that stated it got really hot while charging. I don't seem to have that issue on mine. It gets warm, but surely not hot to touch.

My only gripe is that the SD card sticks out of the machine when inserted. Other machines I have had took the card all the way in so you could leave it there if necessary. Other than that I have not come across any negatives to speak of. I really love this machine and wish I would have made the move sooner.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

That's a no-brainer... Macbook Pro all the way!
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Don't the new 13" MB Pros support more RAM than the previous model as well? (8GB rather than 4GB)
QUOTE Thanks
corradoking

corradoking is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone 3G,MBP 13 inch 2.26

The SD and firewire put me over the top..The faster processor is nice too..
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
Don't the new 13" MB Pros support more RAM than the previous model as well? (8GB rather than 4GB)
They do but the price of 8GBs of RAM makes it unrealistic as a justifiable expense .

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
king_carib

Thanks alot for your help guys!

I've decided to go for the MBP!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVI to HDMI issue | screws fell while replacing fan and heatsink »