New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Is there something wrong with my MacBook Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stuaz

stuaz is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I have only had my 13" Macbook Pro for nearly a week, however I have some concerns about it.

This is my first Apple Laptop so excuse me if this is normal, its just I would rather get these things sorted out sooner than later:

1. When Charging the laptop gets VERY HOT, to the point where I can't touch it! I understand Laptops get hot (Had a Sony Vaio before hand, that got hot also). The heat seems to be concentrated around where the charging plug goes in.

2. It struggles to read certain disks, mainly blank CD's. I have read about and this seems to be a problem with the more "rubbish" makes of blank CD's. What happens is, is that I place the CD in the slot and it will then make a sort of pulsing sound - not a sound that it is whirling around. It will then eject it. No messages on screen at all.

Apart from the above I have no issues with it and absolutly love it! However due to how much they cost, I want to get things sorted if they may be wrong.

Many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

1. It's not unusual for batteries to get warm while charging. Since the 13" MacBook Pro has an integrated battery that takes up a sizable amount of the case, and since the case is made of aluminum (which is conductive), I would say it's probably fine.

2. Have you looked at the physical condition of the problematic discs? Also, if they're written on (even the label side), some types of pens can damage the data layer, just below the label.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
stuaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
1. It's not unusual for batteries to get warm while charging. Since the 13" MacBook Pro has an integrated battery that takes up a sizable amount of the case, and since the case is made of aluminum (which is conductive), I would say it's probably fine.

2. Have you looked at the physical condition of the problematic discs? Also, if they're written on (even the label side), some types of pens can damage the data layer, just below the label.

Yeah I did figure that with heat etc.,

The disks are new but they aren't the best make in the world, but I have used them fine in Windows based machines for ages.
QUOTE Thanks
stuaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuaz View Post
Yeah I did figure that with heat etc.,

The disks are new but they aren't the best make in the world, but I have used them fine in Windows based machines for ages.

After getting more and more disks becoming unreadable (Even disks that worked 5 mins before) I phoned apple who are going to send out a replacement Macbook Pro for me.

I assume I can do a backup via time machine onto a hard drive and then import that onto the new machine when i get it? How big are the backups generally? Can I use a USB drive (Dont have a firewire one).

Also a question about the battery. Is it safe to leave it plugged into the mains while its being used or in sleep mode. I don't turn it off normally just close the lid. I take it off the mains when I move into a different room or something but that may not happen every day. Also is a battery cycle when it goes down to zero and then you recharge it? Or is it everytime you plug the mains lead in?
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

You can use a USB drive to do a backup and restore to your new one just fine, however the easiest and cheapest way would be to get a firewire cable (in your case a firewire 800 to 800 cable because it's MBP to MBP), connect the two macbooks and use Migration Assistant. It will make your new Macbook look EXACTLY like your old one (minus the problems you were having, of course.)

Time machine backups are typically as large as the space occupied on your internal HDD.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Your Macbook is meant to be used as a desktop replacement, so you can leave it plugged in all the time as long as you calibrate the battery once a month.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

How to calibrate your battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Start up issue | CD Eject not working »