New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Which AC Adapter do I need?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cgallery

cgallery is on a distinguished road

I have an Apple A1106 notebook. The previous owner left it with me after purchasing new Mac and having me migrate his data. But he didn't leave the AC adapter with me.

The research I did made me think I needed an A1021 65w adapter. However, when I search eBay it seems like some of the A1021's work with my machine, others don't. I'm only going by their included compatibility lists. It seems like there is a difference between A1021 adapters?

I then found this on Apple's site:
PowerPC-Based Apple Portables: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord--US

And it indicates that I need a 661-3746. But I'm left wondering whether the 661-3346 and 661-3746 are both A.K.A. (Also Known As) the A1021? When I search eBay for "661-3746" very few listings appear. It seems the listers all kinda use that A1021 number instead.

Furthermore, in searching for 65w A1021 adapters, I see a lot of people are displeased with them. They don't seem to last long. So I search Amazon for aftermarket version and found more complaints about longevity on those.

What would you guys order for an A1106 notebook? Something that is compatible, doesn't break within three months, and won't break the bank.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

$35 - One yr warranty - can't ask for much more

Other World Computing 65W AC Power Adapter Po... (ACADPTG4) at OWC

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cgallery

cgallery is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
$35 - One yr warranty - can't ask for much more

Other World Computing 65W AC Power Adapter Po... (ACADPTG4) at OWC
That one looks eerily similar to eBay/Amazon units selling for $15-$20 w/ free shipping. If I knew for sure that the OWC one was of higher quality I'd have ordered one. Too bad OWC doesn't allow users to post reviews on their product pages.

In any event, I found a new OEM Apple unit that I think is right, for $39 shipped from Madison, and I'm in Milwaukee (so hopefully I'll have it tomorrow--fingers crossed).

Mind you, it isn't any more highly rated than the other brands out there. It doesn't make sense, but, seeing as they all have fairly negative comments at the various online stores, I may as well take the OEM unit.
QUOTE Thanks
parabellum

parabellum is on a distinguished road

Hi,

do you know what's the weight of the genuine 65W A1021 power adapter without the plug?

Thanks,
Piotr
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 13" Dual HDD Upgrade ***Amazing*** | oops....i dropped it »