Weird noise in my Macbook Pro
    Hey,

I don't know if you guys have heard about this before but I figure i'd give it a shot on here before I called tech support...

Just bought a brand new Macbook pro from the apple store about 5 days ago. I noticed this about 2 days after I bought it. Sometimes, maybe 1/10 times, when I pick up my macbook in the air, I hear a kind of tick noise coming from the bottom right corner of my laptop. It almost sounds like the tick from a clock but only does it once. I have noticed no performance issues yet but the sound is slightly bothersome as I just purchased the computer. Please let me know whats going on if you guys know anything! Thanks!

Mike

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpiscatelli View Post
    Hey,

I don't know if you guys have heard about this before but I figure i'd give it a shot on here before I called tech support...

Just bought a brand new Macbook pro from the apple store about 5 days ago. I noticed this about 2 days after I bought it. Sometimes, maybe 1/10 times, when I pick up my macbook in the air, I hear a kind of tick noise coming from the bottom right corner of my laptop. It almost sounds like the tick from a clock but only does it once. I have noticed no performance issues yet but the sound is slightly bothersome as I just purchased the computer. Please let me know whats going on if you guys know anything! Thanks!

Mike
    I'm guessing it might be the gyro sensor thinking that the mbp is about to endure a drop, so it stops the harddrive. This is because you said bottom right. If it was from the top right or left, near the screen, it is the fans being loose and moving up and down around the bearings area.

Specs:
    MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
    There are a few other posts about this issue in these forums as well as the Apple support forums:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Hard drive click + beep ...

It does appear to be gyro/motion sensor related.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a safety measure.

Thread Information