New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New powerbook virex help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

New Wave

I have had my pb g4 for about 9 months now and i have been very carful with downloading as to not get viruses and stuff of that nature... so far so good....at this point with my pc i was infected not only with viruses but spyware and the mac has saved me from all this and that is why i swithced. Today i did a scan and found that i have 1 possibly infected file and this makes me feel uneasy and i would really like to find out what is going on. Virex doesnt seem to give a lot of information about whats goin on though and i figured i throw this question to the pros.... so any info you guys and gals could give me would be great! thanks...
oh and its virex version 7.2 if that matters...
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

what file was it?
This would be much more helpful
QUOTE Thanks
New Wave

The thing is i dont know how to see what file is no good... is there a way? it only says one possibly infected file... is there a way to tell which file it is? I am new to this virus program...
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

its most likely a pc virus, there are NO os x viruses, virex scans for pc viruses as well so you don't spread viruses to pc's, besides that, virus apps are unnecessary, that pc virus wont harm your mac. if youre networked with pc's, then its necessary.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

every once and a while i find a few viruses on my computer, but they are PC viruses and wont effect your mac at all. macman pretty much stated it all
QUOTE Thanks
untoastytoast

Do macs come with virus scanning software?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

no, bu if you get a .mac account, it comes with virex. this is because virus scanning software is not necessary.
QUOTE Thanks
mMmApples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
no, bu if you get a .mac account, it comes with virex. this is because virus scanning software is not necessary.
I think it is a nice thing to have, I currently have an infected file and I understand it won't affect my computer but I still don't want it on there. How do I go about getting rid of it. Virex is a very sketchy program, it doesn't really do anything
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« when to install ram? | new to mac, just bought an ibook need help »