New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Extend MBP display to a TV?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cap

cap is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15" early 2009:2.4GHz,4GB,OSX7.4 & PBookG4:1GHZ,1.25MB,OSX10.5.8 &MacMini:2GHz,2GB,OSX6.8

Is there any way to extend a MBP display to a TV? I would like to insert a DVD movie, watch it on the second display (TV), and continue to work on the MBP screen. I have a minidvi to HDMI adapter and have hooked up to the TV with an HDMI cable; I can mirror the display, but that is not what I would like to do. Thanks, anyone!
QUOTE Thanks
newtomac22

newtomac22 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 Memory, 500GB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

if you go to "system preferences" and then to displays you should find a check box to make it mirror or to make it an extended desktop. To mirror you check the box, to extend uncheck the box

hope I helped!
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Yeah, uncheck "Mirroring" in your Display preferences. However, for some reason, movies don't stay full screen on the extended monitor if you're using the Macbook monitor. You might have to drag the corners of the DVD Player window to make it full screen instead.
QUOTE Thanks
imwesty

imwesty is on a distinguished road

I have my macbook connected to tv -dvi/hdmi- - I only see a screensaver on the tv. What do I do next?
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Well, click your mouse to leave the screen saver for starters.

If mirroring is turned on, you'll see what's on your Macbook's display. So if the screen saver is on, that's what you'll see.

Then turn mirroring off and you'll see a desktop with no Dock, no icons and no menu bar on your TV screen. Then you can drag windows and icons from your Macbook's screen onto the second desktop on your TV screen. Just drag a window towards the edge of your Macbook screen and keep dragging. It will slide off of that screen and you'll see it start to come in from the edge of your TV screen.

Think of it as an extension of your Macbook screen, as opposed to a separate screen with its own parameters. In other words, if you have both screens side by side, Macbook on the left and your TV on the right, both of them together make one big desktop. The left edge of your Macbook is the left edge of your desktop, the right edge of your TV is the right edge of your desktop. The right edge of the Macbook display and the left edge of the TV would be the "middle" of your desktop with a separation running down the middle. In fact, you can position a window so that half is on one screen and half is on the other.

To change which side your external display will appear on, go to System Preferences>Hardware>Displays.
QUOTE Thanks
Vega

Vega is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
Yeah, uncheck "Mirroring" in your Display preferences. However, for some reason, movies don't stay full screen on the extended monitor if you're using the Macbook monitor. You might have to drag the corners of the DVD Player window to make it full screen instead.
Yes, but if I'm correct this would reduce the movie's resolution, because when you do it using an Application's Feature, then it would optimize it.
QUOTE Thanks
cap

cap is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15" early 2009:2.4GHz,4GB,OSX7.4 & PBookG4:1GHZ,1.25MB,OSX10.5.8 &MacMini:2GHz,2GB,OSX6.8

Works great!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« P.O. Box shipping | HELP please Restoring to Original Factory Settings »