New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - should I buy 3-year service plan?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dogn4u

dogn4u is on a distinguished road

As some of you know, I'm taking the plunge from PC world to Mac world. "Finally!", as my Adobe-totin' brother smirked. We shall see. Anyway, I'll probably go with a 17" MacBook Pro. I've been buying electronica for 30 years and have always refused "extended plans" and have not once regretted it. However, I know nothing about Macs except that every musician I know who has a nice home studio or project studio has a Mac, not a PC, under (or lately on top of) the desk. So I'll bite the bullet and give it a try.
What do you ladies and gents think - extend the plan or no? Anyone said "no" and regretted it...or vice versa?
Thanks for your time,
Rudi
ps - would your answer be different whether the Pro was a desktop or a laptop?
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I've just gone over the year mark with my MBP and I've only ever needed to call the AppleCare center once or twice, back when I was just getting set up. No problems since then, so I didn't extend it, but I do have a Best Buy plan on it since they cover for theft (which AppleCare doesn't). Since theft is more of a concern with laptops, I opted for that plan.

I would just wait and see how it goes. You don't have to get extended coverage right away. You can extend it any time during the first year.

I've never had any major problems but you never know. I will say that I expect my MBP to be at least as tough as my old PC which never once needed to be repaired.
QUOTE Thanks
TennsDog

TennsDog is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB

Try searching this forum for the topic. There have been at least three other posts on this same question in the last month. Lots of good replies there already.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Hardware "is" going to fail. Whether it's during the time frame of any warranty or after??? Who's making money on those extended warranties - the customer or the company selling them?

The only way you can regret not having purchased an extended warranty of any kind is to consider how much money you would have spent on "all" of those warranties over 30 years vs the times you (would) have used them. Certainly you can't regret it based on an instance of failure from one item.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I get AppleCare on any Apple product I buy. Why? It's saved me over $6,000 in repair costs and gotten me a brand new computer when they couldn't fix mine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "R" key wont work when typing in WEP key | Speaker issue? »