New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - ibook g3 problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dazmac

dazmac is on a distinguished road

hi all i'm new to this site i bought an ibook g3 500mhz from ebay when it arrived it was in pieces with the fan removed i reassembled it and it works but after about ten minuets the screen goes corupt i booted it with the bottom detached and it worked perfectly and i watched a full dvd but i noticed the fan didnt spin all the time the base was off and i've never heard it spin when it was all together would a new fan cure this or is the logic board no good any help would be much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Hi,

Firstly, the fan probably wouln't need to kick in if the base is off, as the machine would not get hot enough.

Secondly, I think the screen corruption after a while is one of the classic symptoms of the graphics chip on the logic board becoming unsoldered.
With the whole machine back in one piece, when the screen becomes garbled, if you press hard on the palm rest to the left of the mousepad, does the corruption go away?
That would indicate that the graphics chip has loosened and your pressing down pushed it back into a proper connection.

Hope this helps in your diagnosis

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
dazmac

hi i let it run untill the screen scrambled i timed it it took 27 mins pressing on the palmrest and the base did nothing it got very hot underneath and the whole system froze because i couldnt eject the dvd drive or do anything does this sound like graphics fault or something else
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Sorry, I've read your original post again.
The fact that it seems to run OK with the bottom off may well indicate overheating.
Feel round the vents at the back and see if any hot air is being blown out. You can also hear if the fan is working, especially just after powering up.
If nothing, check the fan spins freely as there may be fluff in it.

Failing that I would wait until someone more experienced comes along to chip in.

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
dazmac

hi i felt around the heat sink and no air is being blown the fan spins freely by hand it just doesnt work i have bought a second hand fan off ebay hopefully that will fix it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My first mac, a MacBook Pro! | To whom do I submit a complaint? »