New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - CD Insertion Making Weird Sounds?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CommanderKiri

CommanderKiri is on a distinguished road

I just bought a brand-new Macbook, fully equipped with Mac OS X Leopard (or whatever it's called). I have worked on Windows all my life, and this is my first Mac, and while I'm still getting my feelers for the system--is my CD drive supposed to do this?

I recorded it taking the disk. Click here.

I suppose I thought that my MacBook was supposed to just take CDs automatically, and I didn't have to jam them in all the way. Am I delusional? Does MacBook Pro only have the self-grab ability? Every CD I've put into my MacBook's drive does this. It sounds scary, but it seems to work perfect.

Help?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

It does make a sound and you have to place it in almost all the way for it to grab.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

That is the sound of a properly functioning slot load drive on your Mac.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
BlinkTMB

BlinkTMB is on a distinguished road

Mine does this too, wondering if it's normal. Yes then?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnC86

JohnC86 is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty new to mac's, but when I got mine a few weeks back one of the Software Updates was a firmware update for the drive, to make it a little bit quieter.

But Yes it does sound loud and broken when you put cd's in, and it does feel like you need to push them in a bit too far. Small trade-off for such a beautifully crafted slotdrive.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Completely normal.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

p3ezi(moto) will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

Natural

GS3 - Nexus 7 - 13in Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
mbohn

mbohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Completely normal.
Yes, but it still makes me laugh every time! Sounds like Minny Mouse got her tail caught in the mechanism.

www.dynostep.com
engine simulation software
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I actually like that sound..... I think it's real space age. When my Mac's running a bit hot and the fans get cranking, I like to put in a disc then, and listen to the take off sounds combined
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet sharing.... Sending message computer to computer? | Problems with iAlertU... »