New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - No Sound & A Red Light

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

specialk

specialk is on a distinguished road

hello fellow mac-users,
i'm hoping someone can help me out here. i am unable to hear anything through the internal speakers of my powerbook G4, unless i have earphones or external speakers plugged in. since the moment i became aware of this problem, i also noticed that there is now a red light shining from within the headphones jack.
has anyone else had this problem or have any insight as to what this may be and how i may resolve the issue?
my machine is applecare protected...
thanks all!
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

This might sound obvious, but did you try the volume control buttons on your F keys?
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Hate to be bearer of bad news, but you're either going to need a new logic board or just live with it because the microswitch in the jack is stuck on 'external'. I had this happen to my old Macbook and sure enough it needed a logic board. $1250 which was fortunately covered by Apple Care.

There is a trick you can try though, if you can get something in there tiny to flip the switch you might be able to fix it. Or rapidly plug-in unplug a jack might free the switch. If not, oh well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need advice on buying | Crack/Split »