New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Need advice on buying

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Seb-on-Mac

Seb-on-Mac is on a distinguished road

Hey guys!

I am almost totally new to the "Mac World", I say "almost" cause it was just today that I got to play with a MacBook Air for like one hour and I certainly LOVED it.

Recently I realized that the time has come for me to buy myself a new laptop. But here... I really need your help, cause I have a few questions.

As I'm going to Singapore next week in holiday I was thinking of buying a MacBook Pro from over there, as it is cheaper than Europe. Should I be aware of any taxes?

Then I plan having a linux distribution, like openSuse on an external hard drive - can Mac laptops boot from USB? Did anyone try anything similar to this? Cause I might be a bit worried about the speed.

Well now the most important issue: As I said upper I'm going to Singapore next week so that means that if I'm going to buy a mac book pro I am going to buy it next week. I checked apple's site and they say that the new OS: Mac OS X Snow Leopard is coming out in September. Is it worthy to wait till September or is the upgrade easy? Do you have to format everything in order to upgrade your system, or if you do not, do you experience errors and crashes with your new system? And then - will there be a new Mac Book Pro family when Snow Leopard gets out so my mac would be, in less than 3 months, the ex-generation?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Can't comment on your tax or an out of country fees.

If you wait until September then you get Snow Leopard for free basically because all the Macs then will be preinstalled with Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
Seb-on-Mac

Seb-on-Mac is on a distinguished road

Thanks CrimsonRequiem!
Can you tell me if besides the 30$ fee there's any other thing to worry about? I mean when the snow leopard launches will iLife be updated? Will there be a new line of mac book pros? And will upgrading my system to snow leopard mean I'll have to format my drives?
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

You can find out all about Snow Leopard here:

Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - The world’s most advanced OS

All Macs running Leopard should be able to handle it, in fact it will take up less space on the hard drive than Leopard does.

Not really any big new apps, but a lot of re-jigging and tweaking. From Wikipedia:

The update to Mac OS X will focus on improving performance, efficiency and reducing its overall memory footprint, rather than new end-user features.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How traumatic is it to replace the HDD on a MacBook | No Sound & A Red Light »