New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - RAM upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

muzule

muzule is on a distinguished road

hi! I know the subject is not new, but there are some details which I cannot figure out. I've bought a 12" Ibook G4 1.33 Ghz with 1Gb RAM. And I want to upgrade RAM because I have Leopard and I'm not happy with the speed (bad video quality, browser scroll, switching between applications etc.) I'm at work now and didn't check if it's 2x 512 Mb sticks or 1x 1Gb stick.

So question n1: it seems that matched sticks work faster than unmatched ones. but then if I upgrade to 1.5 unmatched sticks are inevitable. so maybe 1Gb matched is the same as 1.5 Gb unmatched... what do you think?

2: what if I put 2 x 1GB sticks? will they work?

3: do the sticks need to be of identical manufacturer?

thank you
QUOTE Thanks
DiveObsession

DiveObsession is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13' Unibody 2.26Ghz

Well, according to crucial..
There is only one DIMM - the 512MB in there is non-removable so you don't have much of a choice

Source: Computer memory upgrades for Apple iBook (G4 1.33GHz, 12-inch) Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com
QUOTE Thanks
muzule

I understand...thank you. then there must be 2x512 Mb sticks. so do you think it's worth changing the added 512 with a 1Gb stick (being that I'll get an unmatched configuration)?
QUOTE Thanks
empty_noise

empty_noise is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature

The 1.33GHz iBook G4 only has one RAM slot, 512MB of RAM is soldered onto the logicboard.

So that one ram slot currently has a 512MB stick in.

Max RAM you can have 1.5GB, so get one 1GB module.

You will need a PC-2700 DDR333 200-pin SO-DIMM Module.

MB | Mid-2007 | 13-inch | 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo | 2GB DDR2 | 120GB HDD | GMA 950 | White
MBP | Late-2008 | 15-inch | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB DDR3 | 250GB HDD | 9400M + 9600M GT w/ 256MB GDDR3 | Unibody
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

There is no advantage to matched pairs in a G3- or G4-based machine like the iBook.
QUOTE Thanks
muzule

thank you all for the answers. so I will buy a 1Gb stick and replace the 512 one. hope the difference will be noticeable.

btw, it's a nonsense for me that the old DDR ram is much more expensive (almost 3 times on PIXMANIA!!!) than the new DDR2!! it's like selling old nokias more expensive than Iphones... I mean the idea for me is to get a decent old mac for less money. if upgrading is so expensive, then I better buy a newer model... nonsense...
QUOTE Thanks
December

December is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzule View Post
thank you all for the answers. so I will buy a 1Gb stick and replace the 512 one. hope the difference will be noticeable.

btw, it's a nonsense for me that the old DDR ram is much more expensive (almost 3 times on PIXMANIA!!!) than the new DDR2!! it's like selling old nokias more expensive than Iphones... I mean the idea for me is to get a decent old mac for less money. if upgrading is so expensive, then I better buy a newer model... nonsense...
They've either stopped making it completely, or they're making it in very small amounts...either way, this drives up the price.

"Your innocence is treasure, your innocence is death
But your innocence is all I have"
QUOTE Thanks
muzule

is the Kingston RMN1–400/1G DDR 200 PIN compatible? found it on ebay, the guy pretends it's compatible with 400 Mhz (PC3200), 333 Mhz (PC2700), 266 Mhz (PC2100).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« os x 10.4.11 to 10.5.6 | Is it worth it or shall I just sell? »