New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - trackpad right button problem...please help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

projectgrim

projectgrim is on a distinguished road

hey, i'm new to mac and not too computer literate. got a macbook 4,1 and so far i love it but i'm having a trackpad issue. the right button seems to function as a left button. right clicking on a desktop icon with the trackpad highlights the icon, and double clicking opens the application. right clicking an icon does not open an options menu. i regularly use the "software update" function, and my suspicion is that this problem occured as a direct result. i have a mouse hooked up to a usb hub and the pointer and both buttons function correctly with the mouse, just not the trackpad. and the left button still works. any help is much appreciated...thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
empty_noise

empty_noise is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature

You have to enable the "secondary click" in preferences before you can do a right click with your trackpad.

Open System Preferences, via the Dock or the Apple menu, and go to Trackpad

If your trackpad is the new glass multi-touch one:
- - you can enable "Secondary Click" and choose if the bottom right or left corner of your trackpad will bring up the action menu

- - you can enable "Secondary Tap" which will allow you to to bring up the action menu by tapping the trackpad with two fingers.

If your trackpad is one with a large front button on it:
- - Check off "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click"

And of course you can always call up the action menu by ctrl-clicking.

MB | Mid-2007 | 13-inch | 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo | 2GB DDR2 | 120GB HDD | GMA 950 | White
MBP | Late-2008 | 15-inch | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB DDR3 | 250GB HDD | 9400M + 9600M GT w/ 256MB GDDR3 | Unibody
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro 13" UPGRADED | Headphone Jack Sensory: broken? »