New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - slow and stalling g4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kld293

kld293 is on a distinguished road

I've had my powerbook g4 (osx 10.4.11; 1.33 ghz; 256 mb) for five years. Its been great and I've never had a problem until the past few months. It stalls frequently when using applications and I have to force quit all the time. It also is really slow to switch between applications. For example, if I have Word, Firefox, and Adobe Acrobat Reader open it takes a long time to fully return from one application to another. Doesn't seem to matter what applications I am using, it is consistently slow. Do I need a new computer? Is this one about to crash? Or is there some kind of maintenance I can do? In addition, is it normal for my laptop to get really hot when using it for several hours?

Any help is appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

kld293

I have run in to the same problem with my iBook G4 same specs just more
memory... things would run slow.. and even safari would have issues .. I
would also loose some of my music just would not play in iTunes. and would
not show issues in hdd properties.. or even diskwarrior.. replaced and
everything is better now

So it might be this .. or not can't say for sure..

hope this helps.

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kld293 View Post
I've had my powerbook g4 (osx 10.4.11; 1.33 ghz; 256 mb) for five years. Its been great and I've never had a problem until the past few months. It stalls frequently when using applications and I have to force quit all the time. It also is really slow to switch between applications. For example, if I have Word, Firefox, and Adobe Acrobat Reader open it takes a long time to fully return from one application to another. Doesn't seem to matter what applications I am using, it is consistently slow. Do I need a new computer? Is this one about to crash? Or is there some kind of maintenance I can do? In addition, is it normal for my laptop to get really hot when using it for several hours?
You might look into upgrading your RAM, since 256MB is only the minimum for Tiger. The 12" PowerBook G4/1.33GHz can take up to 1.25GB, and the larger models will handle as much as 2GB. Laptops have really poor ventilation compared to desktops, so it's pretty normal for it to get hot.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
empty_noise

empty_noise is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature

Ram... 256MB... that is the ram soldered on the logic board,
there is one SO-DIMM slot, so just get a PC2700 module, 200 pin, 333 Mhz DDR.

MB | Mid-2007 | 13-inch | 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo | 2GB DDR2 | 120GB HDD | GMA 950 | White
MBP | Late-2008 | 15-inch | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB DDR3 | 250GB HDD | 9400M + 9600M GT w/ 256MB GDDR3 | Unibody
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ibook G3-G4 | Mac Book Pro Advice »