New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - MacBook not seeing remote external HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rma4201

rma4201 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook OS X V10.R5M7

I have a MacBook 5.2 running Mac OS X Version 10.5.7. I am running a wireless network Air Port Extreme router Version 7.4.2. I have connected a 1 TB Western Digital 10EAVS External hard drive and a printer to the Air Port Extreme router via a USB 2 hub. My MacBook sees and I am able to utilize the printer, but the Western Digital 1 TB External drive does not show up. I can see the 1 TB External drive via the Air Port Application setup, but it is not showing up on my desktop or in Utilities/Disk Utilities. I have connected the External drive directly to the USB port on my MacBook, and the drive showed up on my desktop instantly. I partitioned the External drive into two partitions and ran Time Machine which successfully backed up my MacBook. I then disconnected the External hard drive from my MacBook and reconnected it to another USB port in the hub connected to the Air Port Extreme. Once again, my MacBook does not see the External hard drive. I can see the External hard drive via the Air Port Extreme application right down to the two individual partitions. I even removed the USB hub and plugged the External hard drive directly into the Air Port Extreme router, but my MacBook still did not see the hard drive. Does anyone have any insight what settings might need to be changed on my MacBook to allow it to connect to the External hard drive while it is plugged into the Air Port Extreme wireless router?
QUOTE Thanks
tetontrav

tetontrav is on a distinguished road

I am running into nearly exactly the same issue. I ran into this problem when my Seagate external HD kept getting dropped offline, generally when I was transferring date, more specifically updating ipods with music as I keep all my music available to my wireless network at the house. My Airport Extreme is able to see my Seagate briefly before it gets kicked offline, so I bought a Western Digital HD. I have never been able to get my Extreme to indicate the WD drives are available on the network although if I plug them directly into any of my laptops they show right away.

I am using the USB ports, but the drives use different outbound connections, one with a mini-usb and one with that square'ish outbound connection.

Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Are these network drives, or just straight forward external HD's?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

Just to clarify as well (old post I know), in your AEBS, do you have File Sharing Enabled?

Using AirPort Utility you can verify this by selecting you router, going to the 'Disks' option and clicking on 'File Sharing'.

This should be selected if you want the disks to show up as volumes on your network.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to mac, can't find bootcamp | Grey screen of death ! after update »