New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Transfer from broke Ibook to old Ibook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fro169

fro169 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have a Ibook G4 that I love. I had it in the garage the other week while cutting some metal.....I know bad idea. I was using it to control my itunes over airport. Anyway, I ended up breaking the screen, I bought a used Ibook off ebay to replace mine. I had Leopard and other software installed on mine. The one I bought off ebay has Tiger. Can I load EVERYTHING from my old one to the new one...."I don't want to break any laws" I bought my old Ibook with leopard pre-installed,so no cd. I have a brand new 24"Imac with the leopard CD, I know I cant use that.

What can I do?
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

I would think that you could have just replaced the screen. But since you didn't you could always swap hard drives or clone your old one to the new one. The grey OEM install discs, such as the one that came with your iMac, only work on one machine, and since you say it's "brand new" it's also for a different CPU architecture.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
December

December is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4

If you have a FireWire cable, and an external monitor, you can download a program called "SuperDuper" onto your old iBook, and clone your hard drive to your new one. IIRC, you have to start the new one in target disk mode before starting the cloning process, but besides that, SuperDuper should be easy enough to figure out.

"Your innocence is treasure, your innocence is death
But your innocence is all I have"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Booting from an external DVD drive not working | incase hardshell for 13" macbook pro »