New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Slow Performance after Hd Install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

willi177

willi177 is on a distinguished road

Hi i recently upgraded my mac book pro to a 500 gb 7200 rpm hd. Install went smooth enough except that the leopard reinstall took 4 hours and now my computer is slow as can be. I've run the disk check in disk utility as well as the hardware test without any errors. The hard drive i added is the new Seagate 500 gb 7200 rpm hard drive. Does anyone know of any compatibility problems or jumper settings that i may have overlooked. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brent
QUOTE Thanks
harrya

harrya is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" June 09

I upgraded a new MBP 15" to same drive without any problems and it is running faster than the stock 320/5400 drive. Did you partition the drive first and set it to GUID?
QUOTE Thanks
xxBURT0Nxx

xxBURT0Nxx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP | 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo | 4 GB Ram | 250 GB HDD

I am just shooting in the dark here, but I read a post by another member who did something with his hard drive and then used his install discs and his reboot time went from over a minute to like 30 seconds. I am pretty sure the thread was called the restart race or something like that.

-EDIT-

yeah, the thread was called The Restart Race, and the OP did an Archive and Install using the install discs. I think this might help you out.

Here is a link to the thread:
The Restart Race
QUOTE Thanks
willi177

I Created a new partition using disk utility. I formatted it using mac os Extended (journaled) option. Is there something else i should try?
QUOTE Thanks
harrya

harrya is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" June 09

See if your partition map scheme says GUID. I am not sure this makes a difference but when I did my upgrade I didn't select GUID and it ran slow so I started over and selected it the second time around. Now everything seems to run perfect and fast. Hopefully someone else can shed more light on your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
willi177

Harrya,
Thanks soo much for your quick replies. I checked and it does in fact say guid. Just to be safe i reinstalled the old hd and everything works perfectly so my problem lies somewhere with my new hd.
QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

Did you clone your old HD onto your Seagate?
QUOTE Thanks
willi177

Hey Everyone,
Turns out i accidentally tore part of the hd cable during installation. I reinstalled the original hd and took it to the mac store. We''ll see what they say about it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« incase hardshell for 13" macbook pro | "Battery not charging" »