New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Osx 10.5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

laurit1

laurit1 is on a distinguished road

I think I already know the answer to this, but my optical drive on my 13"MacBook (OSX 10.4) is shot, and as an alternative I have been using an external drive (USB 2.0) that I inherited from my dad who no longer had a use for it. I was considering upgrading up OSX 10.5, however based on what I have read, I don't think that an installation from a USB drive is possible; only firewire. Anyone have any recomendations on how this can be bypassed, or am I stuck with 10.4??
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Any mountable drive can install the OS

The firewire thing you are talking about is booting from a disk, Intel Macs can boot from USB2, while PPC macs can only boot from Firewire.

But you can mount the disk running 10.4 and start the installer from the external

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« enter and shift keys not working | MBP Sound Issue »