New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - HDD occasionally makes a very light 'click' noise

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Promethius

Promethius is on a distinguished road

Okay so I'm new to Mac and yesterday I picked up my shiny new Macbook Pro 15" and its pretty darn sweet. I have the 2.66 ghz model with dual graphics cards and its a beautiful machine! I certainly will not be going back to Windows any time soon.

Anyway, there is something I'm kinda worried about. The HDD occasionally makes a very light 'click' noise, its not the same sort of click that a usual HDD makes so I'm assuming that it doesn't mean failure of any sort, well at least I hope so. The 'click' only occurs occasionally and is very low, also there have been no instances of freezing, lagging or crashing. It actually sounds more like a click then a tap.

I've checked out online and it says on the Apple website that this may be the motion sensor or the pin parking its head or something along those lines, but I'd like some clarification from real users with experience.

Can someone please help me out and let me know if there is anything wrong, I have a 320GB HDD if that helps. I also have an audio clip of it and I can post it if someone can tell me how.

Thanks guys.
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

I have a similar noise on my Aluminum 13-Inch MacBook. It is kind of a faint clicking noise. It doesnt bother me, and I need to concentrate to really hear it.

I think it could be related to the sudden motion sensor as you have described, or the drive might go into occasional powersaving mode. I havent had any problems with it at least ...

However if you are worried you could get an cheap external USB drive. Connect it to your Mac and backup your drive using time machine for example. Just to be on the safe side. Hard drives can fail.

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What you have found on Apple's site is correct, some drives will make a light clicking noise on occasion. And, they're more easily heard on a notebook where the drive is typically sitting 2-3 ft from you than they are on a desktop machine.

If you have any data that would cause a moment's grief if the drive were to fail, I would suggest following Strukt's advice about setting up an external for back up.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

I think it is in fact the Sudden Motion Sensor - there is a simply way to check this, just shake the computer a little and see if it's the same sound maybe run something to spin the drive b4 shaking, like a movie or copying
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

As a safeguard install a SMART status utility which will tell you the state of your drive. SMARTRepoprter v. 2.3.9 is one which puts a HD icon in the menu bar, green for good and alerts otherwiswe.

corecode->SMARTReporter
QUOTE Thanks
frontrange

frontrange is on a distinguished road

Glad to see I am not alone, wonder if this is by design? Got a new MacBook Pro earlier this week and I too am hearing the slight click from the laptop. Don't know if it is the HD or a fan or something turning on.

Coming from a PC background as well -- still getting used to the new hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
Promethius

Hey guys I'm back, so I installed that Smart HDD thing and it says that everything is fine so I guess its just normal.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius View Post
Hey guys I'm back, so I installed that Smart HDD thing and it says that everything is fine so I guess its just normal.
I would not stand for that at all. If I get a new machine I expect it to be flawless.
QUOTE Thanks
Promethius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I would not stand for that at all. If I get a new machine I expect it to be flawless.
Flawless? As far as I know this is just the motion sensor making the normal noise. I ran all the checks and it says everything is fine. You're making me paranoid now....
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius View Post
Flawless? As far as I know this is just the motion sensor making the normal noise. I ran all the checks and it says everything is fine. You're making me paranoid now....
My motion sensor doesn't make that noise. Do you know what HDD you have? I leave my MB on overnight and if there was any noise I wouldn't be able to sleep at all. >_>"
QUOTE Thanks
Promethius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
My motion sensor doesn't make that noise. Do you know what HDD you have? I leave my MB on overnight and if there was any noise I wouldn't be able to sleep at all. >_>"
Its the 320GB one, it doesn't make the noise a lot. I can only hear it when it is dead silent and I read that it may not be the motion sensor. The noise literally only occurs when the laptop is sitting idle with literally no applications running. It is only really audible when I am just surfing the net. According to Apple, this is because when there is no activity the HDD parks its head to prevent damage, so maybe you aren't hearing it because you are running applications over night that require use of the hard drive.

I definitely would have it checked out if it was causing me problems, but the laptop is working perfectly and all the checks say that everything is fine. Besides, its normal for laptops to make a little noise right, I mean this is nothing compared to my HP laptop HDD noise.
QUOTE Thanks
frontrange

frontrange is on a distinguished road

Promethius, what brand of drive do you have? I am seeing this with the Fujitsu 160GB model.
QUOTE Thanks
Promethius

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
Promethius, what brand of drive do you have? I am seeing this with the Fujitsu 160GB model.
Its a Hitachi drive, the model number is HTS545032B9SA02
QUOTE Thanks
DiveObsession

DiveObsession is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13' Unibody 2.26Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
As a safeguard install a SMART status utility which will tell you the state of your drive. SMARTRepoprter v. 2.3.9 is one which puts a HD icon in the menu bar, green for good and alerts otherwiswe.

corecode->SMARTReporter
Thanks for the link - I'm going to give it a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
chrisjett

chrisjett is on a distinguished road

I'm so relieved having come by this thread. I too have a MacBook Pro (13") and hear an occasional soft click from the drive. I do not notice any lag in performance, but wanted to be sure - (that's when I came by this thread).

What scared me about this noise is that my 15" MacBook Titanium just died - (hence the need for this computer). Not that it had a similar noise, but the hard drive was on its way out and it was making hard disc noises that started quiet and then became so bad that I knew the end was near. I do still need to replace that hard drive, but I quickly backed up my files (not all) to an external drive and ran out to get this computer.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro sticky trackpad and pinch/zoom question | 2006--how much should I charge to sell w/o screen? »