New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - God killed my macs. Replacement questions...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zeroskillz

zeroskillz is on a distinguished road

Okay, so lightening hit my house and fried a couple macs, among other things.
We've got homeowners insurance to cover the stuff, so it's all good.

I'm looking at the Mac Book Pro's to replace the tower and mini.
I do graphic arts for a living. I use pretty much the entire Adobe Creative Suite regularly, and am hoping to be able to do some work on the Mac, but not alot. I guess the most frequent duties the mac will serve are Hulu, Lightroom and Photoshop. I take alot of photos...

I've got a budget of roughly $3200, and am debating the value of the Solid State Drives versus non, and 8 gigs of ram versus 4 etc. I find myself leaning towards a solid state drive and 4 gigs of ram...am I nuts or is this good...

Also, it's $1000 to do 8 gigs of ram instead of 4. What am I missing here? I haven't bought in a long time, but that sounds ridiculously high to me. Can I buy 3rd party and install myself for cheaper?

Any and all thoughts are welcome.
Thanks!
-Ted
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

8GB of RAM is going to cost you around 700-800 dollars form a third party vendor. It's slightly cheaper, but not by much.

I seriously doubt you even need 8 gigs of RAM to begin with. Not unless you plan on doing some serious 3D renderings or heavy music encoding.

SSD is not worth the money. Use that money to get a larger external HDD, and upgrade the HDD to a larger size. IE 500GB 7200 RPM HDD.
QUOTE Thanks
empty_noise

empty_noise is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature

Don't get ram from Apple, way overpriced.

A lot cheaper to just get your system with the base ram the stock config give you and buy third-party ram yourself from Corsair, OWC, Kingston, etc.

MB | Mid-2007 | 13-inch | 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo | 2GB DDR2 | 120GB HDD | GMA 950 | White
MBP | Late-2008 | 15-inch | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB DDR3 | 250GB HDD | 9400M + 9600M GT w/ 256MB GDDR3 | Unibody
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroskillz View Post
Also, it's $1000 to do 8 gigs of ram instead of 4. What am I missing here? I haven't bought in a long time, but that sounds ridiculously high to me. Can I buy 3rd party and install myself for cheaper?

Any and all thoughts are welcome.
Thanks!
-Ted
Don't purchase memory from Apple!!! Buy from someone like Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC, and install it yourself.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IT Programming Student | Do I Have a Bad 2009 Macbook Pro 15" Battery? »