New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - 13" MBP vs. 15" MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gogreen15

gogreen15 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 250GB Hard drive, 8GB iPod Touch

Hi. I've only used PCs but I need a laptop for college next year and I decided to make the switch to Mac. I'm stuck between the 13" Macbook Pro and the 15" Macbook Pro. I need some help and have a couple questions

1. Which is more valuable: the 13" portability or larger screen on the 15"?
2. Is the extra 2" worth $200?
3. Any other pieces of advice is appreciated

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

I like my 13 inch aluminum macbook. I find the screen size to be just right. I may go 15 inch when I update in a year or two, but for now I can't imagine anything else. I thought the 13 would be way too small, but it's really perfect.

Just my 2 cents.
QUOTE Thanks
Square_nothing

Square_nothing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogreen15 View Post
Hi. I've only used PCs but I need a laptop for college next year and I decided to make the switch to Mac. I'm stuck between the 13" Macbook Pro and the 15" Macbook Pro. I need some help and have a couple questions

1. Which is more valuable: the 13" portability or larger screen on the 15"?
2. Is the extra 2" worth $200?
3. Any other pieces of advice is appreciated

Thanks
go to the shop and take a look yourself. only you can decide if you want a more portable 13'' or the 15''.
you could aways get the 13'' then buy a monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
STS9phreak

STS9phreak is on a distinguished road

for me, the 13 is perfect. the 15 almost seems too huge..

13'' MacBook Pro - 2.53 GHz - 4 GB Ram - 250 GB HD
80 GB iPod Classic
8 GB iPod Touch

QUOTE Thanks
Prolanman

Prolanman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad

THe 13 was the right size for me. The 15 just seems too big if you need portability. That and I use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse. If I really needed a bigger display I would just opt for a larger stand alone display.
QUOTE Thanks
xxBURT0Nxx

xxBURT0Nxx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP | 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo | 4 GB Ram | 250 GB HDD

I think the 15 is perfect for portability, but your post is kind of silly. All of your questions are ones that need to be answered by you and not anyone else. Go to the apple store and determine which size you like more, and if 15" is worth an extra $200 or not.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

I have the 15" inch one but the 13" inch one is also very good. What matters is portability, since you're going to college, and 13" can hook you up pretty well.
QUOTE Thanks
ivoryandgold

ivoryandgold is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro unibody 2.53Ghz (with 512MB NVIDIA 9600M GT), silver iPod Classic 120GB, white iPhone 3G

I agree with the other posters that you are the only one who can decide which is better for you based on size and portability. However, you should consider more than just the physical dimensions. I don't know what you're looking for in a notebook, but I bought my 15" MBP (at the time the smallest MBP) for its features, not its size.

The 15" is available in configurations which have more to offer in the graphics department. This may not be a concern, but if you're going off to college and are at all into gaming, this may be the only computer you have regular access to so you might appreciate having the ability to use it as a gaming machine. That said, you can still do a fair amount of gaming with the integrated graphics card in the 13", so it really depends on how much graphics-intensive stuff you intend to do.

When I got my MBP, I found myself wanting to get the much lighter 13" MB (I'm an undergraduate student too), but I've now gotten used to it and am very happy. Sometimes, even 15" seems a bit small, but this may be due to the fact that I spend a good amount of time writing code. Given that (and the other features mentioned above), I am glad I didn't get the 13".

So, be sure to consider more than just the size and weight. Think about what you intend to do with your computer, and also think about longevity. I got the best configuration of the MBP available at the time (barring crazy processor and HDD upgrades) so that I'd hopefully have a computer that would last me through grad school (got my MBP in Junior year). For me, this was the deciding factor. Getting any Mac is a significant investment, and to me it seemed more prudent to spend a bit more up front in order to get something that I won't be dying to replace in a year.

This post got a little lengthy, but I spent a lot of time debating on the same issue as yours so I felt compelled to share my thoughts.

Best of luck to you.

Faithful user of OS X since 15 October 2008!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2.53 Late 2008 MBP SSD -vs- 7200 HDD xBench | Does iLife '09 standard on all MacBook Pro's? »