New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Do I Have a Bad 2009 Macbook Pro 15" Battery?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

harrya

harrya is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" June 09

Recently purchased two new 2009 Macbook Pro 15" computers. One has dual graphics and one is the base model with integrated graphics only.

Problem is that the higher end model has a significantly lower battery life when used in an identical manner.....4 hours versus 7 hours. I have set the graphics card on the higher end model to use the integrated graphics only so in effect they are running as the same machine. I know the model with dual graphics capability has twin cooling fans versus one fan for the lower end model.

Do you think the fan, faster processor or 7200rpm drive could account for lower battery life or do you think the battery could be faulty?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Those can definitely be affecting your battery life.
QUOTE Thanks
harrya

I figured they could affect battery life but I was originally getting close to 7 hours on the dual graphics model. I have 9 cycles on my battery. Can they go bad or loose their ability to hold a charge that quickly?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Yes, it is possible for a battery to go bad very, because not all batteries work 100% all the time. I would take it to the apple store just to see what they might say.
QUOTE Thanks
harrya

I am going to take to Apple store as I'm now only getting 2 hours battery time just checking email and surfing the web.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrya View Post
Recently purchased two new 2009 Macbook Pro 15" computers. One has dual graphics and one is the base model with integrated graphics only.

Problem is that the higher end model has a significantly lower battery life when used in an identical manner.....4 hours versus 7 hours. I have set the graphics card on the higher end model to use the integrated graphics only so in effect they are running as the same machine. I know the model with dual graphics capability has twin cooling fans versus one fan for the lower end model.

Do you think the fan, faster processor or 7200rpm drive could account for lower battery life or do you think the battery could be faulty?
I'm pretty sure the battery isn't faulty, of course a notebook running twin fans, faster processor, and higher graphics card drains out the battery quicker. But since you just bought it, go get it checked under warranty. Oh wait, you're already going to do that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« God killed my macs. Replacement questions... | 2.8GHZ with 512mb vs. 2.66GHZ with 256mb? »