New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Hey guys~

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iphix

iphix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG

I just got my ibook!!!

And I dunno what the **** i'm doing on it.

How do I bring up my system specs?
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

How the **** do I close programs?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

For System Specs click on the Apple in the upper Left Hand corner of the screen and then click about this mac. That gives you the basics then click on the More Info button on that screen.
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

How do I set-up my internet for it? Do I just plug in the cable and it works?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You can close program by doing a command (apple) q and in some cases click on the red dot located in the top left corner of the window.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphix
How the **** do I close programs?
On the Close programs question, if you click the RED X at the top left of each app it will close but it's still in a lot of cases running. If you go to the Dock and either CTRL-Click or Right Click if you have a 2-3 button mouse and hit Quit. There are other ways with Keyboard Shortcuts, but that is the way I do it. Also you can just click at the top Bar with the app in the forefront and and click the name of the app and you will see a quit option there also.
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

Sorry if I seem a little "wild" just i'm excited to have it, but I dunno how to use it

I love this thing though.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
How do I set-up my internet for it? Do I just plug in the cable and it works?

If you are using Cable or DSL it should as far as the Internet just work. If you want to network with other systems then you have to configure a few things.
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

Ok, tell me how to set-up a internet connection with my DSL.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Ok, tell me how to set-up a internet connection with my DSL.
Are you using a Router with your DSL or just the DSL modem? Some SBC supplied DSL modems have built in PPPoE but most do not.

If you have a router, it will do the connecting to the DSL and you should just be able to plug in the network cable and it should work.

Tell us more.
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

Mk, guys i'm on my Ibook now. I have the internet working, all I did was plug it into the ethernet port.

Everything is working great, getting use to the trackpad.

Now, I want to know how I can change my background to things off the web.

Also, how do I delete things? Like internet explorer I don't want this microsoft crap on my mac. And what is the best browser to use for my mac?
What is a good program to use to chat? Should I just download msn messenger and aim for mac?
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

Give me some programs to also clean my mac out. And how do I change the names of files on my desktop?

Sorrry for all the questions, guys, but I really have no idea what i'm doing on this thing.

Help a new family member out!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Have to run and will answer more later if someone else does not beat me to it! :-)

If you just use AIM, IChat will work great. If you need MSN also, you can either grab MSN for OSX or get a Multi Chat client like Adium or Fire. They are free and will handle AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo and more like Trillian on the PC.
QUOTE Thanks
iphix

Don't leave yet! Tell me how to get unwanted programs off my mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

What unwanted programs? For the most part just drag the icon to the trash and you are done.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burning CD's??? | Sleep vs Shut Down for transport »