New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Leaving my MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cam-89

cam-89 is on a distinguished road

So, I'm going to be leaving my 15'' MBP for about 2 weeks while I'm on vacation visiting family. I don't want to take it with me because I'm very protective of it and I wouldn't want it to get damaged or stolen while traveling. Is there anything I need to know while leaving it sit at home?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

>_>" seriously? Just turn it off.
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

Uhh, yeah. What he said and don't forget to leave it unplugged so you don't kill the battery. I can explode if plugged in too long. Also, make sure you stay in a safe neighborhood so nobody breaks in your house and steals it. That's all the advice I can give.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinitup1 View Post
Also, make sure you stay in a safe neighborhood so nobody breaks in your house and steals it.
What an odd statement. This person was talking about leaving on vacation - this has nothing to do with protection of their goods when they are at home.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

If u have valuable data on your MBP then i would suggest doing a back up and keeping it off site. That way you are covered for fire and theft.
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
What an odd statement. This person was talking about leaving on vacation - this has nothing to do with protection of their goods when they are at home.
No, you misinterpreted the OP's statement. He's leaving on vacation and is leaving his Macbook at home. He wants advice on what to do when leaving his Macbook at home.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Huh????

What are you goig to do with the TV, stereo, DVD player, refridgerator, stove, water faucets, etc. while you are gone?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Huh????

What are you goig to do with the TV, stereo, DVD player, refridgerator, stove, water faucets, etc. while you are gone?
If they aren't made by apple then obviously they don't mater.
QUOTE Thanks
harrya

harrya is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" June 09

This tread is about as silly as the one in which the person is worried about water spots on his glass macbook screen.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinitup1 View Post
No, you misinterpreted the OP's statement. He's leaving on vacation and is leaving his Macbook at home. He wants advice on what to do when leaving his Macbook at home.
I think you misinterpreted it. I understand what is happening with the OP. A statement about a choice of neighbourhoods to live in is independent of what to do with the machine when you leave. The OP can't just change neighbourhoods - it's not as if you can choose your neighbourhood so that when you leave, you decide to put your house in a good neighbourhood.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

The OP could just send the Mac to me. I'll take good care of it.
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

Haha, I was just kidding in an extremely sarcastic way.
QUOTE Thanks
Futch

Futch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Huh????

Haha, well said.

Lock your doors, set your alarm, if time permits set up booby traps, and pray.

MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
iPhone 3G 16GB Black
iPod Nano 2GB
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Unplug it, and don't post on the internet you are going to be out of town.
QUOTE Thanks
mystic_fm

mystic_fm will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM

I also understand the original poster's question. One specific aspect of this question which I've often wondered about myself is: if a MacBook Pro (or any laptop) is not going to be used for a while, if it is better to store it with the battery fully charged, partially charged, or mostly depleted? (With the obvious goal being to preserve the battery's life.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Install CD that came with laptop is scratched | violent beeps on start up, does not go past the apple logo »