New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Colorware "Stealth" Black Macbook Pro *HOT*

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I've been waiting for Apple to do something like this every since I made the switch. If I had $6,000 for a computer, I'd definitely get one. It includes a soft touch scratch resistant zero fingerprint finish, top shelf specs and looks that will make you smile every time you look at it and turn the head of everyone else. I'd actually rather have a black aluminum finished, but this would do just fine.

Anyone want to float me a loan?

Colorware - Stealth Macbook Pro

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I don't think a paint job should warrant a six grand MBP. >_>"
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I don't think a paint job should warrant a six grand MBP. >_>"
Nor do the specs. No notebook is worth $6,000. Sure the specs are nice but there is no way you can justify that kind of money for it.

For fun, I customized a Mac Pro that came as close as I could get it to $6,000. I got a 2x2.66 Quad Core Xeon, 8GB 1066 DDR3, 3x1TB + 1x640GB HDs, NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB with a 24" LED Cinema Display for $5,998 CDN. I'll take the MP.

EDIT: After doing a currency conversion, $5,998 CDN is $5,167.13 USD. I guess I still have some play room .

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

While it looks awesome, I'm not sure that I'd want a painted aluminum MacBook. While you can easily scratch the aluminum, I'd imagine it would be much less noticeable than the aluminum showing through black paint.

Oh, and these guys are crazy with their prices. If it's a sustainable business, I guess PT Barnum was right...

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

You can send your own 15" MBP in for "coloring". Only $499 - a real bargain
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

While I agree that this item is pretty overpriced, I would say it's a bit more than a simple "paint job". I don't think they're using a standard paint here. It seems more like some kind of textured coating that would probably be more resistant to wear and scuffing/scratching. You also have to factor in the fact that they are switching out the glossy screen for a matte screen, the SSD instead of a a standard HD (which probably could be a 512GB for that price) and the work to completely tear the machine down and turn everything black, including the touchpad, and keep it as fully functional as a factory MBP. It looks like they're also going for rarity as a factor for price premium with the limited quantity of 10 units.

It's a luxury custom item to be sure, but I would rather go for this kind of understated style than some gaudy stone-encrusted monstrosity. If I had the money I would go for it, and keep it tears after it gets to be obsolete like some people are with their old powerbooks or eMacs.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
While I agree that this item is pretty overpriced, I would say it's a bit more than a simple "paint job". I don't think they're using a standard paint here. It seems more like some kind of textured coating that would probably be more resistant to wear and scuffing/scratching. You also have to factor in the fact that they are switching out the glossy screen for a matte screen, the SSD instead of a a standard HD (which probably could be a 512GB for that price) and the work to completely tear the machine down and turn everything black, including the touchpad, and keep it as fully functional as a factory MBP. It looks like they're also going for rarity as a factor for price premium with the limited quantity of 10 units.

It's a luxury custom item to be sure, but I would rather go for this kind of understated style than some gaudy stone-encrusted monstrosity. If I had the money I would go for it, and keep it tears after it gets to be obsolete like some people are with their old powerbooks or eMacs.
For that premium price I expect it to have more mods than a matte screen, a SSD, and scratch resistant paint.

Too each his own though.

I rather use that six grand building a top of the line gaming rig, or possible invest it in a Mac Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Yeah, I'd have to have some serious discretionary income to buy one of these. I spec'd an MBP to these specs on Apple and it's actually $4250, so it's not quite so bad for all of the customization.

But I think I would also like something with more bang for the buck first. Just think of the fire-breathing-dragon-of-a-Mac-Pro you could have for that money!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Macbook Pro, 2009 Temperature Question | Problems when I turned it on!! :( »