New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - mackbook pro gets really really hot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eve6er69

eve6er69 is on a distinguished road

OK i have had this brand new MBP for about 3 weeks and it seems to get really hot.
i dont know if it is the aluminum casing but if i am ripping a cd to itunes and surfing the web it sonetimes gets too hot to put on my lap.

i have just downloaded the activity monitor from the apple site. i am wondering what temps i should be running at?

rite now i have
hd 92
cpu 130
enclosure base 90
enclosure base2 90
enclosure base3 88
enclosure base4 97
heatsink b 120
northbridge 112

i dont know what these numbers should be.
i changed all of the temps to Fahrenheit as well

if someone can please let me know where i should be standing and what is the danger zone i would much appreciate it.

thanks guys and gals
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I have never seen my MB go higher than 83 or so and that was when I was encoding video. What kind of surface are you using your MBP on? You need to allow for proper ventilation - don't use it on something like a rug or blanket. The best surface to use a notebook on is a desk or something else with a hard surface. If you use it on a "soft surface", you restrict air flow which will in turn increase the temperature of your MBP.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It's normal for your MBP to get warm, even too hot to place on your lap. You shouldn't be using it on your lap anyway - that's why they're not called "laptops" any more.

Use it on a flat surface, not on a carpet, not on your bed, etc. I recommend using it on a notebook stand. That not only gives you a better viewing angle and allows air to flow under the machine, but it also protects it from nasty spills which can easily destroy your new MBP.

The temps you quoted do appear somewhat high. By the way, the aluminum case helps to conduct heat away and out of the machine.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Make up something like this for home use - plenty of cooliing there

Click for full size - [color=#A7A7A7]
QUOTE Thanks
eve6er69

this is usually on my lap
hence the LAPtop
lol
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Don't use it on your lap - this will restrict airflow and from what I have heard, excessive heat from notebooks in that region of the body () is not good for it if you're a man. I don't know if this is true but it does make sense.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
eve6er69

i just put it on my friends webcam and i will let you know how hot it gets while watching the webcam
QUOTE Thanks
eve6er69

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Don't use it on your lap - this will restrict airflow and from what I have heard, excessive heat from notebooks in that region of the body () is not good for it if you're a man. I don't know if this is true but it does make sense.
well that would be a stupid idea for apple if they made a laptop, lol
QUOTE Thanks
eve6er69

now the cpu is at 160
heatsink 140
northbridge 124

thts with watching my buddies webcam.
i was just staring at his fishtank for 10 mins, lol
QUOTE Thanks
eve6er69

Ok so are those numbers something to be worried about or is the computer just getting normal hot and the aluminum just making feel extra hot. Like I said I have no idea on what numbers to look at but this is what istat gave me.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

You haven't mentioned whether you are using metric or imperial units here. If that's 160F, you're fine. My 83 was metric and 83C is 181.4 (it was only here temporarily though). 160F is a little high IMO but probably okay.

Now, if you are somehow at 160C, run. I don't think this is metric though.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« isight camera | ibook reset »