New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Macbook Aluminum Screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Eminem

Eminem is an unknown at this point

Is it true that you don't have to worry about scratching the Macbook Aluminum screen?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Aluminum screen? You mean aluminum body and glass screen? The new unibody MacBook made from aluminum is easily scratched or dented since the metal itself is soft by nature. Care should be taken when handling or moving it over rough or uneven surfaces. Probably best to use a sleeve or case for the machine.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
harrya

harrya is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" June 09

A glass screen can be scratched, just like anything else made of glass. I would think its more durable than a plastic screen like most other mobile screens. I use a soft microfiber cloth on mine that has been pre-moistened with either water or Windex.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Yes glass can be scratched, but it is much more difficult to do so than a plastic screen. You would effectively need another piece of glass or something harder (like a diamond) in order to do so. With plastic screens a slightly rough piece of dust could scratch the screen, or even your fingernail if you dug it in with enough force, something you couldn't do on a glass screen.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
AppleFreak81

AppleFreak81 is on a distinguished road

Yeah the glass screen is pretty durable by iteself to speak but use common sense when cleaning and caring for it of course. i bought the zagg (invisible shield) for my new macbook to keep it all looking sharp and when not in use its in its neoprene case.

iMac 24" 2.66 Ghz
Macbook Aluminum Unibody 2.4 Ghz
iPhone 3G S on T-Mobile: MMS and Internet Tethering
Black iPod Classic
QUOTE Thanks
Eminem

Yeah of course I meant the Macbook with the aluminum body and glass screen. Should I take the battery out when I clean the glass screen? Also how do I make it so you can't see left over water droplets?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

You are using WAY too much water if that's even a concern. Take a microfiber cloth and wipe down the screen to get rid of dust particles. Then dampen part of it very slightly to get out the smudges. Then use the dry part of the cloth to wipe it down. There shouldn't be huge water droplets to even worry about, and there's no need to take the battery out.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
harrya

You can't take the battery out on the new aluminum macbook pro line and I'm not sure why you would think you need to take the battery out to clean the screen. I would use a soft microfiber cloth made for cleaning glass. You won't get water droplets if you pre-moisten the cloth first.
QUOTE Thanks
Eminem

Its not a Macbook Pro, Its a Macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
Eminem

It has a glass screen right?
QUOTE Thanks
Switched

Switched will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminem View Post
It has a glass screen right?
yes it does.

2009 "Unibomber Body" Macbook Pro| 2.8 dual core | 4gb ram|
QUOTE Thanks
harrya

What a waste of a thread
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrya View Post
What a waste of a thread
What a waste of a post

The OP has a genuine concern, a concern that is shared by many people. Just because YOU think it's a silly question doesn't mean it shouldn't be asked.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrya View Post
...I'm not sure why you would think you need to take the battery out to clean the screen.
Because, despite the fact that you may have a non-removable battery, Apple still recommends removing the battery - MBP and MB cleaning instructions. So, if you have a removable battery, I would do as Apple recommends.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harrya

Why would they recommend the battery be removed? Is is due to shock?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AppleCare after you upgrade Ram and Hard Drive? | Install CD that came with laptop is scratched »