New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Losing Hard Drive space rapidly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chrismeek32

chrismeek32 is on a distinguished road

The last several days I've been getting the warning that my start up disk space is low. I can start the day with over 1 GB of memory and just after a couple of hours of doing small things (checking email, reading some web sites, etc.) the warning will appear and I only have 30 MB of memory left. Please advise as to what is going on and what I can do to fix my problem.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

First of all, hard drive space is not memory, it's disk space measured in gigabytes. The system needs space for virtual memory and temporary files is why you start out with 1 GB and decrease to 30 MB. With only the bare minimum of hard drive space left, your system also slows down considerably.

Your problem is easily resolved by either:

1. Cleaning out the hard drive of what's not needed and perhaps moving it to an external hard drive. Also run OnyX or Main Menu (both free).

2. Replace the original hard drive with a larger one.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
BytEMaN

BytEMaN is on a distinguished road

i actually have this problem , im losing hd space for no reason .
i do the "get info" on my mac hd and start out with 10g then its starts to descend with approximately 400mb at a time , with about 10-50 seconds between etch time it descends, and continues til i get the low hd space warning..
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BytEMaN View Post
i actually have this problem , im losing hd space for no reason .
i do the "get info" on my mac hd and start out with 10g then its starts to descend with approximately 400mb at a time , with about 10-50 seconds between etch time it descends, and continues til i get the low hd space warning..
As chscag has said:

Mac OS X is using the hard drive.

Read what he has posted.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
BytEMaN

i did maybe i misunderstood , but i dont need to do anything to have this effect , and it seems ludacris for the mac to "need" 100gb of HD space for temp files and stuff. im constantly trashing stuff to keep its hungry mind happy , but its actually starting to remind me of a windows virus or somthing?

while im writing this my "your startup disk is almost full" popps up and just after i posted the last post i deleted 20gb of files . that just dosnt make any sence?
QUOTE Thanks
BytEMaN

i had to restart i had 0kb available , as i said i had about 10-20 g after my little clean up about 5mins ago. i started up now and i got about 133mb on my hd ..

this is a problem and i hope someone can help me
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BytEMaN View Post
i did maybe i misunderstood , but i dont need to do anything to have this effect , and it seems ludacris for the mac to "need" 100gb of HD space for temp files and stuff. im constantly trashing stuff to keep its hungry mind happy , but its actually starting to remind me of a windows virus or somthing?

while im writing this my "your startup disk is almost full" popps up and just after i posted the last post i deleted 20gb of files . that just dosnt make any sence?
The Trash takes up disk space. I suggest using Secure Empty Trash from the Finder menu.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
BytEMaN

im fairly new to mac and i cant say i found the secure empty trash function.
but i started the disc utility and started that first aid thingy came up wit allot of errors , and onyx smart program recommended full repair.. so i guess thats what ill have to do , ill post updates..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Macbook - charge before using it or not? | Swap HDDs from Macbook (Blackbook) to Macbook Pro »