New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - ibook reset

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mattmuffler

mattmuffler is on a distinguished road

hey guys
i'm selling my IBook G4 A1055 and i want to reset it. i bought it second hand and when i got it it went to the screen with welcome in heaps of different languages and then i went on to register my mac etc etc. but now that i'm selling it, how do i take it back to that setting?
thanks heaps!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Do you have the original install media that came with the iBook? If you do, boot with the install media, reinstall the operating system and applications that came with it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
mattmuffler

no i don't! bumma. thanks for your help though! what should i do?
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

mattmuffler,

Not sure you can get back to that point.. (I really don't know) Unless you reinstall OS X

But what you can do is just create a new user something like MacUser.. if you don't have the reinstall cd/dvd.

give it administrative rights, Log in with the new user and delete your current user with all the files and folders.. that should give the new owner a fresh slate to start off with ..

The only thing to be aware of is this will not permanently delete all of your files like a zero out of the drive and a fresh install. so if someone is devious enough and willing to spend the time they can recreate your files.. So it is best to start all over.

Hope this helps.

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmuffler View Post
no i don't! bumma. thanks for your help though! what should i do?
When you sell the machine you really should give the new owner a set of install disks. You could buy a retail version of either Tiger or Leopard and use it to reinstall the operating system and applications. You may be able to purchase a copy on eBay at a discount. Just include the disks with the sale.

The alternative is to sell it as is but make sure you remove all your personal information from the machine first.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
mattmuffler

sweet as, thanks heaps guys!
QUOTE Thanks
mattmuffler

Hi guys
following on from my reset thread, is there a way that i can de-register my ibook? you know how when you start it up for the first time and you have to enter you country, address, phone number etc etc is there any way of resetting that so that the new buyer can register it for them?
QUOTE Thanks
powermac G5

powermac G5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: *27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmuffler View Post
Hi guys
following on from my reset thread, is there a way that i can de-register my ibook? you know how when you start it up for the first time and you have to enter you country, address, phone number etc etc is there any way of resetting that so that the new buyer can register it for them?
Re-install the OS
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mackbook pro gets really really hot | early white macbook ram problem »