New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Apple's free replacement for White MacBooks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

Since Apple acknowledged that the White MacBooks were prone to cracking, they'll replace the hand rest area for free. My question is: Does that or can it include the trackpad? My cursor is jumpy and I think it might be defective.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Since it would seem you are due for a free hand rest replacement anyway, why not take it to Apple and ask about the problem while yer at it?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

when they replace the palmrest that includes keyboard and touchpad due to the fact that they are attached with melted plastic to fasten it. so yes.

also i have heard about this replacement but i am wondering if they will do this on one no longer under applecare. also will they cover the bezel and bottom casing. mine was so bad that it started with the bottom casing(the hinge was slightly misaligned so it did not hit the weak spot. then the bezel cracked right above the groove, then the palmrest got a chip in it last.
QUOTE Thanks
jetmech1

jetmech1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB

My upper case assy was just replaced by apple a month ago. My computer was out of warranty. The Apple tech called it a warranty extension on the case since it is prone to cracking. I took 2 days for my computer to be repaired.

Mac Mini - 2.5 GHz i5 - 8 GB - 128 GB SSD & 1 TB HD - 2 Apple 23" LCD
15.4" Unibody MBP - 2 MacBook Airs
2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 3 iPods, 1 Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Yes the keyboard and trackpad is replaced when the palmrest area is replaced. They also will replace the bottom casing if it is cracking now. Before the bottom casing wasn't covered under warranty.

As for replacing when you are out of warranty, you should give them a call and ask.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

What are the chances they'll have a hand rest part to replace that day? Is it common or will I have to leave it for a few days?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
What are the chances they'll have a hand rest part to replace that day? Is it common or will I have to leave it for a few days?
Again you will have to call the store and ask. Some have it in stock and others may not. I had to wait a day because the part was not in stock. Another time I only had to wait about 30 minutes.

It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
cheese-g-romit

cheese-g-romit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz

My MacBook cracked a couple of weeks ago, it was my first experience with repairs at Apple - they replaced the bottom case, the keyboard, palmrest, trackpad and of course the bottom case. In a day.
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

If it includes a new keyboard, does that mean it'll fix the Caps Lock Key, which seems to stick all the time? I read somewhere that it was done so on purpose as part of the design, but it's a pain.
QUOTE Thanks
Mactime

Mactime is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo

this is great information thank you all.

I will call and find out too since there is a crack at the armrest and the border around the screen at the top
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Last question: Are you guys sure my crack will qualify for this free repair? My crack is just along the edge of the wrist area facing up where you don't often see hairline cracks (hairline cracks are mostly on the glossy lid or side). The wrist area is made of a different material.

I just want to make sure it's OK before I make the trek to the Apple Store.
QUOTE Thanks
jetmech1

jetmech1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB

Quote:
Last question: Are you guys sure my crack will qualify for this free repair? My crack is just along the edge of the wrist area facing up where you don't often see hairline cracks (hairline cracks are mostly on the glossy lid or side). The wrist area is made of a different material.

I'm sure my computer with the crack in the palm rest was repaired about a month ago. My warranty was expired. I dropped it off on a Thursday and it was ready on Saturday. The tech told me that Apple was granting warranty extensions (case only) for the MacBooks with cracks.

Mac Mini - 2.5 GHz i5 - 8 GB - 128 GB SSD & 1 TB HD - 2 Apple 23" LCD
15.4" Unibody MBP - 2 MacBook Airs
2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 3 iPods, 1 Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Quote:

That is exactly where my crack was and it got replaced. Good luck.

It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Got it fixed yesterday, only took 20 minutes.
QUOTE Thanks
ellilou1

ellilou1 is on a distinguished road

Hi, my white Macbook cracked also on both sides (bottom right & bottom left), and will have to have the keyboard replaced. I am still under Applecare, but I was wondering whether I could replace my current keyboard (white) with another more resistant compatible one (I would be willing to pay for the 'upgrade'). Since they are 'prone' to cracking, I would find it a bother to have to send it in again in a few months time for the same problem. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any suggestions in regard to how to avoid it cracking again? Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook went boom | Wont charge, new Battery new Charger »