New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - hissing sound

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

younca

younca is on a distinguished road

They just gave me a new model macbook because they damaged my other one in a ram install. This one is driving me nuts because it has a hissing sound coming out of it. It's constant noise that is very noticeable. When i scroll through web pages it become choppy. Is this something I should worry about? and has anyone had this problem before?

It's not the audio, it's something internal. I was uploading pictures the other night and it would hiss and stop hissing for every picture sent.
QUOTE Thanks
Square_nothing

Square_nothing is on a distinguished road

personaly i would defentialy get it checked out while under warrenty, could be the hd acting up and its more likely to get worce not better.
QUOTE Thanks
Guinness83

Guinness83 is on a distinguished road

By they, do you mean apple or a store where you had ram installed? Either way you should have it looked at and try to get it replaced. I'm no expert but new computers should not be making hissing noises or any other type of noises at all.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by younca View Post
They just gave me a new model macbook because they damaged my other one in a ram install.
This really floored me. Ram install is like the easiest thing ever, and I don't see how they could mess that up.

Well in any case, I would bring it back and have them address that issue because that is far from normal.
QUOTE Thanks
younca

younca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
This ry floored me. Ram install is like the easiest thing ever, and I don't see how they could mess that up.

Well in any case, I would bring it back and have them address that issue because that is far from normal.
Thanks for the advise.. I probably will get it checked out when I get back from vaca. I read some early posts from early 2007 and there was a few with the same problem.. it's very strange..
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

I had the same problem with the first MacBook Pro released. If the computer sat idle, in essence doing nothing other than having the operating system loaded I did hear the hissing sound.

If I used the computer the sound went away ...

Apparently it is something about the CPU going into a powersave mode that starts this hissing noise. My work PC laptop have this problem too ... I wonder if Apple can really fix it... ?

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is wrong here? Opened it up and it was like this! | Macbook Pro 15' Power/Battery Issues »