New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MBP 13" Upgrade Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DeadGlory

DeadGlory is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I just purchased my first Mac "Mid 2009 13" MBP" and I'm quite fond of it. I am looking to put some upgrades into it already, but would like some advice from the more knowledgeably and experienced.

Im a little confused with the x32 bit x84 bit mumbo jumbo, I know that a 32 bit will only detect up to 2 gigs of Ram though. This doesn't apply to my mbp because I saw them advertising up to 8 gigs of RAM?

Also, If I buy and 2GB stick along with a 4GB would it be worth it? I have heard if you don't buy matching sticks it can inhibit the performance.

Here are the items Im looking to purchase.

320GB 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar 7K320 7200RPM SA... (0A57547) at OWC

4.0GB (2x2.0GB Kit) PC-8500 DDR3 1066MHz... (8566DDR3S4GP) at OWC

Feel free to critique and recommend other products.

Regards,

DeadGlory
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

RAM here.

HDD here & here.
QUOTE Thanks
DeadGlory

Thanks, I purchased both... Now i have to find a correct tutorial on how to bring all my data from the factory one to the one I just purchased. Also will I need to re install the OS? When I purchased this Mac it didn't come with OSX install disks???

Regards,

Jeff
QUOTE Thanks
DeadGlory

Will this cable be needed for the swap? or can I just use my 350 external passport for the HD swap?

Regards,

DeadGlory
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

the easier way is to use CarbonCopyCloner but it can also be done in the operating system. you can do it the way a standard user will do it by copying the data you need to an external hdd and reinstall the OS.
QUOTE Thanks
DeadGlory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyk123 View Post
the easier way is to use CarbonCopyCloner but it can also be done in the operating system. you can do it the way a standard user will do it by copying the data you need to an external hdd and reinstall the OS.
The install disks weren't included with my MBP, so this doesn't look like a viable option to me.
QUOTE Thanks
DeadGlory

Nevermind, i looked back and found them. Thank you
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Readyto hit the ‘Buy Button’ for a 13inch MBP | Hard Drive options for UK MacBook owner »