New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Can't remove battery on MacBook Black.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Filoux

Filoux is on a distinguished road

Hey.

Today I decided it was time to clean my MacBook Black [refurbished], so I powered it down and went to take out the battery. I used a coin to unlock the battery, which didn't seem to pop up. For the life of me, I can't prise the battery out. I don't want to force the thing out, as it's my only battery and I need the laptop for school work.

So yeah, help would be appreciated. The only thing I can think of which may have caused the problem is the fact that the battery was originally very loose, and I asked a guy at my school [who's noramlly very trustworthy and good with Macs] to secure it inside the battery holder and then lock it.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filoux View Post
Hey.

Today I decided it was time to clean my MacBook Black [refurbished], so I powered it down and went to take out the battery. I used a coin to unlock the battery, which didn't seem to pop up. For the life of me, I can't prise the battery out. I don't want to force the thing out, as it's my only battery and I need the laptop for school work.

So yeah, help would be appreciated. The only thing I can think of which may have caused the problem is the fact that the battery was originally very loose, and I asked a guy at my school [who's noramlly very trustworthy and good with Macs] to secure it inside the battery holder and then lock it.
And how is it that any of us would know what he did?

I'd suggest calling that guy or attempting to pry it out at your own risk.

(Just curious - I have a question - since "prise" meaning "to pry" is not a word in American english and I've seen this used by numerous folks in forums, in what country is this used?)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Filoux

Yeah, I realise that you wouldn't know what the guy did to the battery, I just wanted to know if there was any way of freeing the battery.

Ah well.

And to answer your question, prise is British English.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filoux View Post
Yeah, I realise that you wouldn't know what the guy did to the battery, I just wanted to know if there was any way of freeing the battery.
Not without really knowing what he did to "secure it inside the battery holder". Can you ask him what he did?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My guess would be that he used something as a shim inside the compartment to make it fit tight. Hopefully he didn't glue it in.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Filoux

No, he didn't use any substances or anything. It was during a class at school.

All he seemed to do was push the battery inside the casing with considerable force. I'd known previously that the latch on the laptop was slightly shoddy, but not to the extent that it failed to operate.

I'll get him to look at it at school tomorrow. If not, I'll contact Apple. My only concern is I'm not protected by any warranty-- in fact, the notebook was purchased as a refurb done by my cousin.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If it was really just jammed in, then, IMHO, the only way to get it out would be to "unjam" it by using force. I would caution you that doing this could easily break something. Trying to force things, especially computer parts, usually doesn't end well. If it comes down to simply forcing the battery out, I would consider the consequences of doing so (ie. broken battery or other part that may be costly to fix).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 14'' sleeve on a 15'' macbook pro | MacBook vs. MacBook Pro »