New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MacBook Pro 2.5 needs a new logic board

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thenarb

thenarb is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Posting here for my dad. 23 days past his warranty period his logic board took a dump. He's looking into a repair through apple or possibly buying a new logic board. Is he limited to that same logic board or could he install a newer more powerful one? Here's the specs he gave me for the macbook.

Macbook pro 2.5ghz
Nvidia 8400
early 2008
sn: MB134LL/A

If theres any info that im missing let me know and ill get you the answer asap.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

If it is just out of warranty take it in and ask for Apple to sort it. I know of 2 units that had new logic boards replaced by apple and just out of warranty. With the numbers they produce now some are bound to fail, but the consumer should not have to carry the cost of poor PQC.
QUOTE Thanks
stal1n77

stal1n77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig

I am assuming its a early 2008 mbp with a nvidia 8600, they have an extended warranty if its the gpu that went south so you may be able to get it replaced for free if thats whats causing the problem, take it to an apple store see what they say.
QUOTE Thanks
thenarb

thenarb is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. He's been to the mac store, they told him it was the logic board and that there wasnt anything that could be done with the warranty because a couple of small dents on the top cover. So he is looking at having the logic board replace.

How specific are they logic boards. Will a 2009 board work in the early 2008 macbooks?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

If I had to pay for a new logic board, I might as well go buy a new MBP. >_<"
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenarb View Post
Thanks for the replies. He's been to the mac store, they told him it was the logic board and that there wasnt anything that could be done with the warranty because a couple of small dents on the top cover. So he is looking at having the logic board replace.

How specific are they logic boards. Will a 2009 board work in the early 2008 macbooks?
Tell your Dad to take it back in and ask to speak with the store manager. A few small dents on the top cover should in no way be an excuse for them to refuse to replace the logic board. Tell him to be polite but insist on having it resolved.

A new logic board replacement is an expensive repair. And no, I don't believe that a board from a 2009 model can be used since there have been modifications since the early 2008 machines were sold.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
fractaltime

fractaltime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenarb View Post
?
I can believe this- I just had the NVIDIA card on my Macbook pro die. Took it to the local Apple Store (Crocker Park, Ohio). They VERIFIED the card was dead, and YES- this unit qualified for the FREE repair- but they REFUSED to send it in. The outside of the case has many scratches and 2 small dents (well, it IS two years old). The "genius" (Lance) lectured me on the "external damage" and said Apple will not even consider repairs to laptops with dents.

The card practically burned up from the heat generated- but since I couldn't PROVE the dents weren't responsible it was Apple's policy to refuse to repair laptops with external dents & such.

Word of warning: before you drop $$$ on Applecare-be forwarned! If you schlep your laptop around (like I do) and it LOOKS it- you could be refused repairs due to the condition of the CASE!!!

BTW- found a great site apples-r-us that repairs the logic board for under $200. (The Apple store wanted $1200!!! Who would pay that to repair a 2-yr-old laptop?)
QUOTE Thanks
sonspot

sonspot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD

am finding out more about apple everyday, its seem like they make these laptop to not last or to aid them with refusing warranty.

like my white MB with almost no vents other than the exhaust, the plastic is going to dry up and crack over time and now with the aluminum that shows dent. they're using dent that have nothing to do with the problem, so sad.

i like my MB but i'll never buy one new, way over priced for the hardware, the software is the only advantage i see over a PC, other than that nothing..
QUOTE Thanks
metacotix

metacotix is on a distinguished road

Same problem here. My logic board got damaged. Apple reseller (Stuttgart, Germany) has quote the replacement price as 1600 euros. That is outrageously too high. My 1 year warranty period just got over in Dec. I am thinking of buying a logic board separately. Has anyone got any suggestions??
QUOTE Thanks
MariannaS

MariannaS is on a distinguished road

I have MAcbook 13 early 2009 (2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) and I need to buy used logic board - my old one is somehow damaged coze of liquid. Can I upgrade my Macbook ? how do I know that upgrade logic board will be compatible with my Macbook?
Thank you for help.

Marianna
QUOTE Thanks
nadiab

nadiab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractaltime View Post
I can believe this- I just had the NVIDIA card on my Macbook pro die. Took it to the local Apple Store (Crocker Park, Ohio). They VERIFIED the card was dead, and YES- this unit qualified for the FREE repair- but they REFUSED to send it in. The outside of the case has many scratches and 2 small dents (well, it IS two years old). The "genius" (Lance) lectured me on the "external damage" and said Apple will not even consider repairs to laptops with dents.

The card practically burned up from the heat generated- but since I couldn't PROVE the dents weren't responsible it was Apple's policy to refuse to repair laptops with external dents & such.

Word of warning: before you drop $$$ on Applecare-be forwarned! If you schlep your laptop around (like I do) and it LOOKS it- you could be refused repairs due to the condition of the CASE!!!

BTW- found a great site apples-r-us that repairs the logic board for under $200. (The Apple store wanted $1200!!! Who would pay that to repair a 2-yr-old laptop?)

my mother board also went! with only 2 years and 8 months. MacBook purchased in April 20108. It presented the first problem (the internet connnector did not work) with only 1 yr. But the apple store talked me into just purchasing an USB cable!!! I posted a message just day before this message was posted. My message is called:Early death of macbook... Nothing Apple can do for my computer since it is not in the extended warranty.
Now, you mentioned about a site apples-r-us - what is BTW? is there a site that I can connect to? thank you!!
QUOTE Thanks
slakr7555

slakr7555 is on a distinguished road

thats the problem with apple... if you so much as sneeze on your $1000+ investment, it voids applecare..... a new logic board can be found on ebay for $500-$900 (keep in mind its ebay) but unless you can handle stripping your macbook pro down to its individual components and then rebuilding it, just buy a new one because everyone's right, its almost as expensive if noe more expensive to pay someone to repair it. i just rebuilt a A1260 and it wasnt too bad but if you need help, ifixit.com is an excellent resource.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I just took mine in for a bad hard drive and it has some dings scratches and dents on it and they are working on it now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« temperamental PBook G4 superdrive? | Disc drive not working! »