New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - How to combat overheating

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

I see a lot of separate threads about overheating, so I know this is an important topic. I used to be able to run games at full blast on my 17" Dell without having to worry if it would overheat and shut itself off. I've had this happen twice with my unibody 15" Macbook Pro and we all know this is not good. The MBP I have now has a much better GPU than the Dell's 7900gs m, so it's more than capable of running these programs and games.

So this thread should be about ways to be able to play the games and run the software you want without worrying about killing your computer.

So far, I haven't had a chance to test it out, but I have an antec cooler with a large fan. I'm going to try downloading fan control software and setting the MBP on a stand on the cooler off the side of my computer while it's open and without it's bottom case to see how that does.

The down side with my setup is the 30" monitor which means it's pushing the GPU for those resolutions.

Are there other viable options? What about external fans, refridgeration, liquid cooling, etc? They can be crazy options, but it would be nice to hear ideas and see tests on the matter since this seems like such a large issue with our computers.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

Re-applied the thermal paste on my MacBook Pro... AMAZING results! - Mac Forums

This one might help

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
alfonso.ojeda

alfonso.ojeda is on a distinguished road

just buy a base that has 4 cooling fans in special zones is cheap and stops the overheating aa and a tip dont put it on beds or couches or zenes like that because it blocs the air for the fans and dont work the same

P.D. they sell it on circuit city, radioshack, officemax, and office depot.

alfonso julio ojeda madero
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 LCD Display | MacBook Pro memory upgrade »