New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Traveling with Macbooks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skylerevers

skylerevers is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0ghz white Macbook, 2.4ghz aluminum Macbook

I'm going on a 6hr flight on Saturday evening, and I will need to take both of my Macbooks with me in my carry-on bag. They're both in hard shell cases and will be in one big messenger bag.

Now, has anyone ever had any issues traveling with two laptops? I've only ever flown with one of them. I'd just throw the second one in my luggage, but I'm not bringing any

Also.. do ya think they'll let me leave the hardshell cases on? One of them has the Speck SeeThru in clear on it and the other one has the Speck SeeThru Satin. Last time I flew they banged it around so much I ended up with a large dent in my macbook, so now I bought the Speck cases so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've flown many times with my laptop and security has never given me a problem. Just take them out of the bag and put it separately for the x-ray machine. The case isn't going to be a problem since I kept mine in my sleeve and they didn't care, as long as it was out of my backpack.

Oh, and never put laptops into checked luggage. They handle those things quite roughly, you wouldn't want to take the chance, regardless of how well you think you may have packed it.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I don't think covers make a difference. Unless the case somehow prevents the machine from x-raying your notebook, which isn't possible unless it was made out of lead. >_>"
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

i have put my macbook and my dell latitude(bigger and metal on the top and bottom) in the same small case and have not had a problem. They would get banged around a good bit but i have not done this on a plane. I also thought that they would only allow you to take one laptop with you as carry on. that is what i have been told as i don't fly. also if you do always treat it with care unlike me because there is a possibility of cracking the screen, unless you are up for changing it your self it can be a little pricey.
QUOTE Thanks
Heltons

Heltons is on a distinguished road

I fly with two laptops two times a week evey week. never had them say anything about it. just put them separately for the x-ray.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

We went on vacation last year with my family. I was carrying my sisters sony laptop along with my hp laptop because I don't trust them in large luggage. At the x-ray machine, they kept on asking why I needed to have 2 laptops? If it's your sister's, why doesn't she have her own bag? And other really dumb stuff! That's the biggest problem I had. I am using a targus laptop bag that has 3 compartments and they fit perfectly. They also quickly became a chore to carry around though(17"+15"+cables=heavier than usual). If you have a good bag, you are good to go!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Blue screen and mac os crashed | Just got my new MBP »