New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - is it okay to leave the charger plugged into my computer while using it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sistersofavalon

sistersofavalon is on a distinguished road

Hello!

I just purchased a macbook the other day, and this is the first mac computer that I've ever owned. I have noticed that the battery life isn't super great, and is only about 4 hours. I was just wondering if it is okay to leave the charger plugged into my computer while using it. I just wanted to make sure before I do it so i don't mess anything up.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Mine sits at my desk most of the day, plugged in. The only time it comes off external power is when I don't have a plug socket nearby. I get 4-5 hours running lots of minor apps plus photoshop, premiere pro etc.
QUOTE Thanks
liveD83

liveD83 is on a distinguished road

4 hours is a good battery life and within the norm.

Macbook 13" 2.4ghz, 4GB
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Four hours is not bad. When ipod and cell phone batteries last for hours and hours, it's easy to forget that laptop batteries are under a lot more stress so they don't last as long.

You can leave the computer plugged in all the time, it won't affect the battery. But when you are running on battery, you should turn down the screen brightness, turn off Bluetooth etc to save on battery life.
QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

If you leave your laptop plugged in all the time your battery will deteriorate negatively.

I know because I made that mistake on a laptop a while back.

If you do not use it off the mains the Lith particles will not all be free flowing, the only way you can do this is by actually using them.

In essence though you should do at least one full discharge of the battery every month.

Your battery should give the same performance and not deteriorate for a around 2-3 years.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Agreed with the posters above - 4 hours with a pre-Unibody Mac is quite standard. There is nothing to worry about there.

You may want to give this a read.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The cover up | Harddrive Replacement »