New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - My Options

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

micky17b

micky17b is on a distinguished road

Hello all. Sorry if this is a rookie question but I was just wondering what my options are. My 15-inch Macbook Pro was purchased in October 2006 and I also got the 3 year warranty. I have only had a few problems with it.

A high pitched grinding noise that appears when i open the lid, and only goes when the lid is pushed all the way back. Last about 5 minutes.

A full battery is lasting about 25 minutes, and takes a good couple of hours to fully recharge.

My lid is really loose, and creaks all of the time.

Sometimes when I close the lid, the laptop restarts itself, and can usually result in work being lost.

My post is just to get some advice on what I should do. Do i send it to be repaired, or are the problems too minor? Is there any way of getting it replaced?

Thanks for your time, sorry if any vital information is missing.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I don't think those are minor problems at all. You bought the extended warranty for a reason so use it!
QUOTE Thanks
micky17b

micky17b is on a distinguished road

Ok so i rang applecare and got a man with a foreign accent who was unable to pronounce 'C's, or 'L's. He totally avoided the problem about my laptop restarting, and concentrated on my battery problem. He said there was nothing they could do about it, which I have no problem with as I have got a good life out of it. But when I asked him about the restarting problem, and the funny noise, he just told me to go to my nearest apple store. Is this common, or is he just passing the responsibility?
QUOTE Thanks
jamessmells

jamessmells is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.53GHz, 4GB, Snow Leopard + iPhone 3G

Normally I get through to Americans?!
Anyway, I totally agree that you should go to the Apple store. Book yourself in and get it all checked and then (hopefully) fixed!
Hope your back running soon.
QUOTE Thanks
TennsDog

TennsDog is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB

When the hard drive croaked on my iBook a couple years ago (under warranty), I called Apple on Tuesday, had a box from them Wednesday, and had my working computer back Friday. It may have gone this way for me just because there's absolutely no Apple stores within 200 miles of where I live, but it seems like it could potentially be faster to send it to Apple, though I've never had experience going to a store directly. Either way, I would definitely have it fixed. Those are certainly problems worth having fixed under the extended warranty.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook stopped charging iphone | Dropped MacBook beeps, won't display. »