New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

keyboard key broke off (like literally broken off) does apple warranty cover repair?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pkny

pkny is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.

i pressed my f12 key today - and then it broke off .. f12 key broke off like literally - not the key itself but the weird springy plastic lever thing under the button cap is like cracked... does the warranty cover this?

i've seen replacement keys sold at this site : http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Powerb...t-p-16507.html

but 9 usd for a **** key is pretty hefty.. considering it broke off non-intentionally.. and if i have to buy one from here - do u think this is a legit site.. not some scam??
QUOTE Thanks
Eleven

Even if Apple accepts to fix it for free it will cost you more in phonecalls, letters and shipping than 9$ for what you need.

And besides, assuming they accept to fix it, they will take it in for a few days, if not a few weeks.

Pay 9$ and move on.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Those keys are [beep] to install. If you do choose to install the key yourself, use tweasers or something to that effect. The little plastic hinges are really hard to work with.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

The keyboard is covered by the warranty so getting Apple to fix it, is an option.

If you contact them then maybe they will send a new one in the post and you can install it yourself.

I can't image that calling Apple will cost you $9 are phone calls so expensive in America and the shipping costs should be their problem ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can Powerbook Right Click? | noisy mouse »