Talking First Post from the new iBook!
    Hey guys, my new iBook arrived safely today from its trip from Utah (

Everything looks great. OSX 10.2 was EASY to set up, and I just plugged in the ethernet cable and BAM! i was on. I LOVE IT! SO EASY!

Anyways, I have a few questions.

1.) How often do the logic boards fail? Do we have a percentage so far? Apple has that one FAQ page that has info on them replacing logic boards. Why do people complain? I thought apple would do it for free?

2.) what is safari, and how do i get it?

and darn, this 128 mb of ram is slowwwww. I definitely am ordering the 512 stick soon. the gain better be exponential!!

Otherwise, DVD player is smooth. 10.2 is MUCH smoother than i remember 10.1 being too!

Thanks guys!

Miami FL
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Safari is the OS X browser

it is? was it introduced in 10.3? I have 10.2, and im still using MS internet explorer?

I don't think Safari shipped with 10.2

Get it here:

Also guys...where can i find my serial number? is it on the iBook somewhere?

i want to know if my iBook will fall under the logic board recall. i have this gut feeling something bad will happen.

Toledo, Ohio
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    Click on the Apple in the menu bar, click "About This Mac", click "More Info", then look for "Serial Number:"

to find the number go to Apple>About this mac>more info. It should be on the first page that come up after the more info button. What are the specs on you G3?

I found my SN, thanks guys.

I have a 700 mhz combo drive iBook. 20gb hdd. currently only 128 mb ram (which OSX is slooooow on). I plan to drop in that 512 stick next week when i get paid, ha!

And it looks like i fall into that replacement program for the logic board. my SN is DEAD in the middle.

im so scared. i wouldnt know what to do if it happened to me. I mean, i only paid 550 for this iBook, and i heard repairs and a new logic board are super costly!

btw, safari is 10x better than explorer!

My logic board went out about 6 months after I got my used G3. I called Apple and they took care of it so fast. I sent it off on Wednesday and got it back Friday good as new. Never cost me a dime since it fell under the repair program.

Thread Information