New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

First Post from the new iBook!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JSchultz

Hey guys, my new iBook arrived safely today from its trip from Utah (expercom.com)

Everything looks great. OSX 10.2 was EASY to set up, and I just plugged in the ethernet cable and BAM! i was on. I LOVE IT! SO EASY!

Anyways, I have a few questions.

1.) How often do the logic boards fail? Do we have a percentage so far? Apple has that one FAQ page that has info on them replacing logic boards. Why do people complain? I thought apple would do it for free?

2.) what is safari, and how do i get it?

and darn, this 128 mb of ram is slowwwww. I definitely am ordering the 512 stick soon. the gain better be exponential!!

Otherwise, DVD player is smooth. 10.2 is MUCH smoother than i remember 10.1 being too!

Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Safari is the OS X browser
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

it is? was it introduced in 10.3? I have 10.2, and im still using MS internet explorer?
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

I don't think Safari shipped with 10.2

Get it here: http://www.apple.com/safari/
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Also guys...where can i find my serial number? is it on the iBook somewhere?

i want to know if my iBook will fall under the logic board recall. i have this gut feeling something bad will happen.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Click on the Apple in the menu bar, click "About This Mac", click "More Info", then look for "Serial Number:"
QUOTE Thanks
Blue_Dawg

to find the number go to Apple>About this mac>more info. It should be on the first page that come up after the more info button. What are the specs on you G3?
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

I found my SN, thanks guys.

I have a 700 mhz combo drive iBook. 20gb hdd. currently only 128 mb ram (which OSX is slooooow on). I plan to drop in that 512 stick next week when i get paid, ha!

And it looks like i fall into that replacement program for the logic board. my SN is DEAD in the middle.

im so scared. i wouldnt know what to do if it happened to me. I mean, i only paid 550 for this iBook, and i heard repairs and a new logic board are super costly!

btw, safari is 10x better than explorer!
QUOTE Thanks
Blue_Dawg

My logic board went out about 6 months after I got my used G3. I called Apple and they took care of it so fast. I sent it off on Wednesday and got it back Friday good as new. Never cost me a dime since it fell under the repair program.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cheapest place to buy a new battery for 15" powerbook G4? | Battery Problems »