New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - How Do I Figure Out What USB I Have?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MathcoreRomeo

MathcoreRomeo is on a distinguished road

Can somebody tell me the exact steps to figure out what USB I have (1.0, 1.1, 2.0, etc.)? I know you go to Hardware and click USB, but what USB bar under that to I click?
QUOTE Thanks
DCstrX

DCstrX is an unknown at this point

where it says USB bus >
the ones that look like that, check the version
QUOTE Thanks
MathcoreRomeo

My regular USB ports are 1.5mb/sec. *which us USB1.0*

My high-speed USB port *Built in iSight cam* is 480mb/sec *which is USB2.0*

Then I have another high-speed USB port, but it doesn't say what speed it is, and there is nothing in it. Is there a special USB port that should be on the side of my Mac or anything?

Mac Product Guide: 13-inch MacBook/2.4GHz (black) | Macworld

This is the Mac I have. It says it has 2x USB 2.0 ports, but why does my Mac Specs list say my regular USB ports are 15mb/sec? Or *referring to my above post* do I plug it into the hi-speed port *if somebody can tell me where it is*?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The external USB ports on every computer less than about 6-7 yrs old are USB 2.0

This includes every MacBook and MacBook Pro.

I think the only USB in any of these Mac's that are not USB 2.0 is the internal bus for trackpad/keyboard, infrared and Bluetooth.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MathcoreRomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
The external USB ports on every computer less than about 6-7 yrs old are USB 2.0

This includes every MacBook and MacBook Pro.

I think the only USB in any of these Mac's that are not USB 2.0 is the internal bus for trackpad/keyboard, infrared and Bluetooth.
So the regular USB ports ARE actually 2.0 ports? Also, I saw that my ports said *Version: 2.00*, but why do they say 1.5mb/sec? That's 1.0 USB speed.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

If you are clicking on the Apple then on About This Mac and then on More Info then on USB, what you are seeing is the devices you have plugged into the Mac. If the device is USB 1.1 it will show the lower speed even if it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port. The ports on your Intel Mac are all USB 2.0 and capable of 480Mb/sec. Any USB 1.1 device will show either 1.5 Mb/s or 12Mb/s. The Keyboard and Mouse show up as 1.5 Mb/s even when plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

In other words, your ports are 2.0 but a lot of your devices are not. The Mac is fine.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Also, do note that USB 2.0, while rated at 480Mb/s, can not do sustained transfers at that speed. It can burst up to 480Mb/s, but sustained transfers are quite a bit slower.

So, if you're trying to decide on something like an external hard drive and have the option to go with a Firewire drive, even though the Firewire port on your machine is only rated at 400Mb/s, it is capable of sustained transfers at that rate, which will make it faster overall.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Also, do note that USB 2.0, while rated at 480Mb/s, can not do sustained transfers at that speed. It can burst up to 480Mb/s, but sustained transfers are quite a bit slower.
A lot slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
if you're trying to decide on something like an external hard drive and have the option to go with a Firewire drive, even though the Firewire port on your machine is only rated at 400Mb/s, it is capable of sustained transfers at that rate, which will make it faster overall.
In my timed tests FW 400 was up to twice as fast at all transfers over about 100MB in size.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MathcoreRomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
If you are clicking on the Apple then on About This Mac and then on More Info then on USB, what you are seeing is the devices you have plugged into the Mac. If the device is USB 1.1 it will show the lower speed even if it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port. The ports on your Intel Mac are all USB 2.0 and capable of 480Mb/sec. Any USB 1.1 device will show either 1.5 Mb/s or 12Mb/s. The Keyboard and Mouse show up as 1.5 Mb/s even when plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

In other words, your ports are 2.0 but a lot of your devices are not. The Mac is fine.
Thank you. That makes perfect sense.

Thanks to all.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Here are 3 pics to illustrate what I was saying. All on same USB 2.0 Port plugged in to 7-port USB 2.0 Belkin Hub. Zip drive is old USB 1.1 external.

Notice keyboard at 1.5Mb/s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (122.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (94.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 3.jpg (115.4 KB, 3 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« monitor issues | Photo Booth Trouble =[ »