New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

External DVD-RW with my iBook G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

Hey, just a quick question,

I have a 12" iBook G4, Fairly new. Allthough i tried to hook up an external DVD-RW (i tried both a firewire and USB 2.0 one) and neither would work!

I.E. The options in iMovie and iDVD of "Burn to DVD" would not work, neither could i burn files onto any blank DVD.

Why is this so?

Do i need some software or something?

Regards,

Chris, :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You can not directly burn to an external drive. In iDVD go to Save as Disk Image (Might say burn to) and you can burn to the external drive using Disk Utility

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I know there is a hack that you can get to burn DVDs within iDVD. I have read here that PatchBurn might help.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yep Patchburn should solve your problems...
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
You can not directly burn to an external drive. In iDVD go to Save as Disk Image (Might say burn to) and you can burn to the external drive using Disk Utility
I don't think it will let me, i went to save as and there is no option for a disc image.

Is there somethiung else i need to do?
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

OK, i installed patch burn but as i understand i need the DVD-RW connected before i use it right?

Chris.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Saving to disk image became available in iLife 05. What is the make and model of your FW drive?
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
Saving to disk image became available in iLife 05. What is the make and model of your FW drive?
Hi, the drive i used was a Lacie external DVD-RW. The drive did work with Toast for burning but not with iDVD. I currently have iLive 04 and cannot see any other way of burning the DVD project other than sticking it onto an external HDD and put it to one of the G5's at uni with anm in-built DVD burner?

Regards,

Chris.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Offtopic - I dig ur avatar MrChris... Black Beauty
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

If you use a LaCie drive don't use PatchBurn. If you are using one of the drives below (taken from the page linked to) then burning from Apple apps is officialy suported by LaCie and OS X. Go to http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/index.htm and choose optical.

PatchBurn may or may not work, but why do a hack when it is supported by the manufacturer?

Quote:
The LaCie DiscRecording installer will add LaCie drive support (see below) to burning applications that use the DiscRecording framework. This includes but is not limited to, the Finder, iTunes, iPhoto, Backup, Disk Utility and DVD Studio Pro.

* d2 and Porsche DL DVD±RW (16x) based on NEC ND-3520A
* d2 and Porsche CD-RW 52x32x52 based on Lite-On SOHR-5238S
* d2 and Porsche DL DVD±RW (16x) based on Pioneer DVR-108
* d2 and Porsche DL DVD±RW (16x) based on NEC ND-3500AG
* Porsche Slim DL DVD±RW (8x) based on NEC ND-6500A
* d2 and Porsche CD-RW 52x32x52 based on HL-DT-STCD-RW GCE-8526B
* d2 DL DVD±RW (8x) based on NEC ND-2510A
* Porsche DVD±RW (8x) based on Lite-On SOHW-812S
* d2 DVD MULTI Drive based on Matsu****a (Panasonic) SW-9572
* Porsche Slim DVD±RW (4x) based on Pioneer DVR-K13 Porsche Slim DVD±RW (4x) based on NEC ND-5500A
* d2 COMBO based on Lite-On COMBO SOHC-5232K
* Pocket and Porsche Slim DVD±RW (2x) based on Pioneer DVR-K12D
* Pocket DVD-RW (2x) based on Pioneer DVR-K11D
* d2 and Porsche DVD±RW (4x) based on NEC ND-1300A
* d2 DVD±RW (8x) based on NEC ND-2500A
* d2 DVD±RW (8x) based on Pioneer DVR-107D
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

Thanks for the info guys, and thanks. I made the Avatar myself, if you want i could send you some others i made?

Cheers,

Chris, :mac:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I set it so I can close the screen and nothing happen?? | HELP ME!!!!!! I need a program that deletes things without the help of FInder »